What monitor do you plan on using with your fancy new laptops?

This reminds me… at the time, Apple had 30% off all USB C accessory to help people move go usb c. This monitor was part of that sale and I picked one up.

Even if the XDA pro display was 30% off, I am not sure if I will pick one up.

With that said, if my Ultrafine dies tomorrow, I really do not know what else to buy… probably will buy another Ultrafine…. What other options are there ?

I also appreciate the speakers, webcam that comes with the ultrafine. It’s a decent package

I did a job interview using the webcam on the ultrafine and got the job… so I am all positive on this monitor

Ah, but just think. If you’d been using the XDA pro display you would have been hired as the president! :joy:

1 Like

Except the XDR doesn’t have a webcam. :grinning:

2 Likes

For the price it ought to have a miniature DSLR build in. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

In general, they are very good out of the box.

Personally I would only calibrate if I was producing printed output AND I had a 100% color managed workflow. So if I also calibrate my printer, am using the proper paper/printer profile, lighting, etc.

If you want/need accurate color output you will need to disable Night Mode or any other feature which may alter your display color.

I don’t worry about it too much for personal projects, but if I was printing something for a client I would be as accurate as I possibly could.

2 Likes

I’m just curious why so many Apple users seem to feel like this monitor is their only choice?

I don’t have the space in my current living situation to have the setup I’d like so for now I’m making do with a 24” ViewSonic VP2468 which has been very good in my opinion.

However it seems like there are some other very highly rated displays from BenQ, Eizo, NEC, etc. Even Dell and HP seem to have some pretty highly rated monitors.

Personally I really like the VP series from ViewSonic and would strongly consider larger models in that series when it’s time to upgrade.

No knock on the LG…it’s also highly rated. Just saying there are other good options on the market.

However in a perfect world dApple will begin making some quality prosumer level displays again…a bit less expensive than the Pro XDR, but still with the features editors and designers need when connected to a MBP.

People want the 5K 2x retina screen. That’s the only reason people navigate to this. It’s the only 5K screen that matches an iMac DPI for your desktop that I’m aware of.

1 Like

Thanks…that makes sense. I knew there had to be a reason Apple would recommend that particular monitor. I learned something new today!

1 Like

Glad I could help! I am one of those people, by the way. I would love an Apple-branded display that matches the iMac better, but stands alone so I can plug a laptop into it. Those were the glory days: pre-Retina with the Thunderbolt Display (which also made a great hub). No matter what computer you used, you could get a great display for it (or with it). That’s not as true anymore.

A theory: a crazy good XDR Pro 2 launches at the current price and the current one goes to $2,500 (with the standard stand, not the $1,000 one). Maybe? Very pricey, but …

I have been wondering about this a bit, actually. The XDR seems like it’s due for an upgrade: it has fewer mini LED zones than the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro, and isn’t as “state of the art” now. I want to buy one because it looks nice and it’s big, but it’s way too expensive for what it is.

We know from experience that Apple doesn’t care about that, but it’s also clear the XDR tech is moving down the line. If it’s selling well, I could see them releasing an updated version along with new Mac Pros in 2022. I could also see them unveiling a standalone, less expensive display with some of the XDR’s feature set — albeit more limited in scope (it seems obvious that the Nanotexture coating is here to stay).

I’m waiting out the whole Apple Silicon transition to see where we end up with all this before I buy anything new. There’s a lot of unknowns right now.

Yes, it was the way some of the new screens are getting better than the XDR that got me thinking. And maybe that’s why they haven’t put out a “consumer” external screen yet … maybe the XDR 1 will be it … at a new high very-Appley price!

I use LG 34WK95U, a 34" ultrawide 4K/5K monitor.

Around 163ppi. Pretty happy with it.

1 Like

I just upgrade to the best you can buy: EIZO CG319X ColorEdge. 4K, wide color gamut, self-calibrating, 24bit LUT, hood included, stand included.

3 Likes

In the latest episode of ATP Marco (who owns both the LG UltraFine and the Pro Display XDR) describes the ports on the back of the LG as “notoriously unreliable”. He says “The XDR’s ports have been 100% reliable for me.”

I am sorry to take a different approach here. If you want a display that is as good as the iMac, go for the XDR. Period.
The ultra fine are just fine IMO, they are older than the XDR, and if you want a bigger display, XDR is the only available option.
Nobody can expect what Apple is going to do next, but I don’t think they are going to upgrade the XDR soon. They might produce a cheaper version, similar to what they started to include in the devices (Liquid Retina).

That’s interesting because the ports on my ultrafine have been very reliable….

I do find that with Marco, if he does not spend a lot of money on something, that something tends to be unreliable for him lol

I kid of course.

I can only speak for my display and I do not connect any audio input devices so they may be the difference.

1 Like