What office chair is everyone using?

I use this one, since last year: https://www.needforseat.de/pro-chief-bwe-156?c=72#d92cd4f321ede922a6601aedf2b7edd0

It is ok. I am going to buy a chair with more support for my lower back, if i buy the next one.

Gesture chair (Steelcase).

Gesture by Steelcase

I have a Steelcase Gesture.

As a budget oriented Swede, I use the IKEA LƄngfjƤll.

I love the way it looks and find it comfortable enough for a home office where I occasionally work.

I looked this up on the USA site and itā€™s a at least slightly different chair here. Ours has casters. IKEA LĆ„ngfjƤll

You can actually choose whether you want casters or not. The same goes for arm rests and the height of the back support. Same chair, different configurations. Without casters itā€™s a bit cheaper, too.

This is mine, at the US site: link

1 Like

I need to replace the piston on mine as well. Is the new piston holding up well? Did you get it from HM or is there a less expensive replacement?

Iā€™m struggling with a need to replace my chair too. Iā€™ve had the current one about 25 years and I have no clue who made it. I know it was an expensive office chair when bought but there are no marking son it to identify it.

My problem is our desk is a built-in made from cpuntertop material. It is designed so that a standard 2 drawer file cabinet fits underneath. That makes the surface about 3 inches higher than normal so I need a chair that goes up taller than a typical office chair. Lab chairs are close but often donā€™t go down far enough. I use a foot rest so that my feet are supported so that is not an issue.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

I use a vintage bankers chair (in photo on right) I found off craigslist. I had to take it to someone to replace one of the railings and put in new wheels b/c the old ones were falling apart. Itā€™s perfect.

Note, the chair foregrounded on the left, also a bankers chair (and my great grandfatherā€™s at that), is awesome and beautiful but not at all comfortable.

8 Likes

@beck Nice looking office!

Iā€™ve been using memory foam chair I bought from Staples for a few hundred bucks back when I was at ā€œthe firmā€. One of the few things I took with me when I left. Fortunately, Iā€™ve never fallen down the ā€œfancy expensiveā€ chair rabbit hole.

3 Likes

One at home, one at work, bought 15+ years ago.

1 Like

At home I have an older Aeron chair in my study / guestroom that I got for $150 off Craigslist about 5 years ago. It works great. However, since I tend to work a lot at the kitchen table, I spend a lot of time in an old straight-backed wooden kitchen chair.

1 Like

Your office is beautiful.

Apparently an open-box sale on of Aeron chairs, if of interest:
https://gearpatrol.com/2019/02/20/herman-miller-aeron-sale-ebay/

1 Like

I have the HumanScale Freedom Task Chair (without the headrest option). I got it cheap from a company that was going out of business and selling its furniture. It has very few adjustments. It sort of adjusts to you. Iā€™m sure that wonā€™t work for a lot of people, but for me itā€™s quite comfortable! Iā€™ve had it for about 13 years and replaced one armrest cushion once.

I see this chair a lot on TV, too, usually with the headrest, for whatever thatā€™s worth. I think itā€™s what Bill Maher sits in on his show (his has the headrest). And they were all over the show ā€œ24ā€.

Just an FYI about chair care, my Steelcase Gesture was creaking like crazy. I identified it as coming from the casters.

I pulled each one off the base and sprayed WD40 into the metal pin that spins the caster.

Once this was done, all creaks have gone and itā€™s back to smooth running.

1 Like

Herman Miller: Embody for prolonged use at main workstation; Setu for occasional use at another desk.

Sitting on the Embody feels like floating on a cloud. It will effortlessly recline with the weight of moving your arms away from the desk, and return as you reach again for the keyboard. Set-up is easier than it often soundsā€”just dial the various options in until they feel right.

The purchase cost of the Embody is not insignificant; but consider how many hours you use your chair as a primary tool which impacts upon your physical health, and the benefits of investment are significant I reckon.

During the cooler months when Iā€™m working indoors I do about 90% of my work sitting on my futon. Thatā€™s about to change though because I just bought a nice Jaxx bean bag which will probably end up as my new primary ā€œchairā€. I do have a spot by the window which has a desk-like object built in under it that I sometimes use and that requires a stool or a chair. In the warmer months Iā€™m outside in the shade if at all possible so my chair will vary depending on location. Sometimes just leaning back against a big tree. :smiley:

1 Like

Just a heads up, I used @Timoā€™s link for the Herman Miller Aeron from Madison Seating on eBay and I have to say I am floored. For $440 I got, what seems like a brand new Aeron chair. There is not one discernible scratch or anything. Itā€™s beautiful. The most beautiful part was that I didnā€™t spend $1200 on it.

If you are interested, my goodness this is a wonderful chair.

5 Likes

Funny you mention this. We had these at work in one of my precious jobs. We had to put our names on them so people didnā€™t mess with our settings!