What popular practice in MPU do you not get?

For me the sound quality in Overcast is noticeably richer in (specifically) the car, so I use it for that.
I recently switched to Castro, but now I have an iPad I have switched back.

Listening to hours of podcasts every days makes the slight improvement worthwhile, but I can understand people not being bothered.

Without the dock visible I think I would miss instant message notifications (both from iMessage and the bespoke tool that my work uses).

I don’t understand the love for Sanebox on MPU and other tech podcasts. Every email client I’ve used has had plenty of options for snoozing, sending later, marking as spam, unsubscribing, etc.

As a Google Apps user for work and using Google for my personal account, maybe that is the difference. With the capabilities that Gmail has had to have specific rules and automations I don’t understand the need for a subscription service to do what is natively provided through Gmail and through other apps (Spark, Airmail, etc.)

4 Likes

Key shortcuts? How do you implement that?

Not sure how Lars does it, but I use Keyboard Maestro for this.

Most of my shortcuts are Hyper (Shift + Option + Control + Command) plus a letter (for example Hyper+M for mail, Hyper+B for browser, Hyper+C for Console). A Mac on which these don’t work does no longer feel right to me…

I use Karabiner Elements to map the Caps Lock key to the Hyper key.

Side note: I use multiple monitors and those Keyboard Maestro macros also take care of launching the App on the “correct” screen (left, middle, right).

4 Likes

FruitJuice

FruitJuice isn’t needed with modern battery technology, yet people still use it and advocate for its use. Since battery life is measured in cycles, doing full cycles on a regular basis probably shortens battery life.

The only thing people need to know about their batteries: if you’re storing a device for a long time, store it half-charged.

1 Like

I agree on Smart Speed and Voice Boost - turned them off yesterday just fooling around and they make a lot of difference.
Can’t agree on orange though. At least it isn’t blue - too many blue apps, and they’re getting difficult to differentiate. I’m not anti-blue (cerulean blue is my favorite color), but there needs to be some variety.

1 Like

Do you use Google Inbox? I’ve been on it for a few years now but contemplating moving away from it as it lets me get lazy with email habits, and doesn’t play as well with mail.app on the Mac (because mail.app doesn’t understand some of the “buckets”)

1 Like

I replaced the stock battery indicator with the FruitJuice indicator. Just because it gives me more info on battery usage. I don’t use the maintenance feature.

3 Likes

I have all notifications turned off. Too distracting.

1 Like

Sing it, brother! I did some research into FruitJuice a while ago and found no evidence to suggest it does ANY good. And yet people seem to like to use it and plug in and unplug their laptops when it tells them to.

It’s like drinking eight glasses of water a day – because it takes some mindfulness and effort, people think it must be doing some good.

2 Likes

Keyboard shortcuts are something I don’t get.

That’s not quite true: I do use quite a few keyboard shortcuts. But not nearly as many as the true MPU die-hards. My brain just doesn’t seem to be wired to retain as many keyboard shortcuts as the die-hard MPU-ers can retain.

2 Likes

Trolling:

I don’t get Disney, Star Trek and Star Wars. :stuck_out_tongue:

Serious:

Sometimes I wonder if a lot of the “workflow optimization” is not procrastrination on it’s own. I have many rules that saved a lot of time and effort. But I have to confess that some of them were just play&fun. Very complicated stuff, just done because I can. Time put into getting it to work: hours. Time saved: a minute. Or, as the posted before me stated, some of the shortcuts with attached code I created. A lot of effort went into them, just to be used once or twice.
Actually it’s difficult to say where being a “power user” for the sake of productivity ends and where it starts being just for fun.

5 Likes

I think part of it is that Sanebox has been around since before many of these more advanced features were common in email clients. Another part is that email clients tend to implement these features in a more proprietary way, whereas Sanebox will work with a plan vanilla IMAP account and any email client, which makes it easier to switch clients (or use the native Mail app).

1 Like

I’m considering turning off my notifications off of my Mac as well because of this.

1 Like

Change “sometimes” to often.

Add my fussing to find a personal best app…

I used Inbox for a long time and then switched to the new Gmail when it was released. I try to use dedicated email apps and have been using Spark for the past year and have really enjoyed it. Previous to that I used airmail but found way too many bugs with sending and syncing between devices.

Since Spark is free, I’d recommend trying it for a week. You can also configure it to use the same keyboard shortcuts as Inbox/Gmail which helped with processing email quickly.

My biggest obstacle to going beyond Inbox is that I have a lot of rules set up to move mail into various folders/bundles and I’m thinking I should probably try to unwind all that first.

Will Spark play nicely with the bundles I have set up in Inbox? Does it give their server(s) access to my mailbox/data directly?

Wasn’t part of the initial pitch for Inbox that it would learn how you bundle things so that you didn’t have to write as many rules?

@tonycraine Oh my. Yes. I cannot count the number of times I have started down the Mardown road, getting things set-up on iOS, linking through to MacOS etc., and… I hardly ever use it…

And then, 6 months or more later, something perks my interest in it, and I start again…

As to why – I simply don’t make nearly as many notes as I think I do… And when I am taking notes, it’s something I am wanting to do quickly, and is at most a few lines – so I’m in and out of Drafts or Apple Notes, without giving it much thought…

Moving SimpleNote or iAWriter to a more prominent spot on my iPhone/iPad, works for a while, but then I’m back to old my habits again…

I really love the simplicity of Markdown, and have oodles of appreciation for it, and viewing the end result over in Marked 2 etc., but – as mentioned – it just never sticks…

3 Likes

Interesting. I write professionally for the web. Markdown is my muscle memory.

As for Drafts: I barely use the automation. It’s basically a napkin for me. If I need to jot something down quickly, I type it into Drafts. Maybe I’ll send it elsewhere, but just as often I keep it in drafts for some period of minutes, hours, or days, then delete it.