What popular practice in MPU do you not get?

Interesting. I write professionally for the web. Markdown is my muscle memory.

As for Drafts: I barely use the automation. It’s basically a napkin for me. If I need to jot something down quickly, I type it into Drafts. Maybe I’ll send it elsewhere, but just as often I keep it in drafts for some period of minutes, hours, or days, then delete it.

It sounds like your workflow works well for you and indeed you should not change it.

As for me, I write in markdown and then convert to HTML before entering it into our CMS. The editors expect HTML.

I do occasionally have to edit freelance and contributed articles. In that case people submit in Microsoft Word. I would prefer they submit in HTML or, even better, Markdown. But it’s not something that I even bring up. It seems like it would be a waste of time to discuss.

I just don’t get the trackpad. I’ve never been able to get the hang of using it. The mouse just seems more convenient especially with the five buttons.

1 Like

Drafts as a napkin or post-it is exactly what it is for me. In that one day I notice I have a whole desk drawer full of little scraps and I now I need to make time to file everything so I can clear out all this trash.

I find it slightly more useful than Workflow, but I suspect that the reason these apps seem baffling to me is that I do my work on a Mac. There’s no hope of me deciding one day I’m going to make an iPad my sole computer, so I don’t have a whole lot of interest in the helper apps that make doing that a semi-livable experience.

If my drafts were automatically available on my computer, then it could begin to rival my INCOMING.txt

That said, I use lots of Markdown (and Fountain), have saved 300+ hours with Overcast speed adjustments, and I’m a few months into RE-uploading all my data to crashplan, even though I don’t believe in its value and as of today it says I have 3.4 years remaining on the upload.

I think I’m becoming more Mac- and iPhone-centric over time, and using my iPad more as a consumption device. It’s a five-year-old second-generation iPad mini though; if I had a newer iPad maybe I’d use it more.

1 Like

I used to be the same with regards to backing up. Most of my documents are backed up to several services. Work has me covered with crash plan, and my documents rest on our version of cloud storage (a la Dropbox). Most of my application purchases are through the App Store.

However I came to the conclusion that while my losses can be mitigated by the fragmented back ups I have of slices of my data assets, the effort to pull everything together would be considerable. I do a backup now to protect myself against hw failure, or hw loss.

1 Like

I’ve always assumed the SaneBox love across tech podcasts just came down to sponsorship dollars…

That or the fact that the hosts are public personas that get a buuuuunch more email than I do, so the service seems worthwhile to them.

3 Likes

I think SaneBox remind is the coolest thing I’ve seen, but other than that, Airmail seems to do everything it does just as well if you’re able to use it on all your devices.

Im saving about $130 / month. However, I had one time costs for the devices, Tablo, Apple TV, etc.

I don’t get the love for grouped and stacked notifications on iOS. My notification preferences are set up so that only the things I want to know will notify me. But grouped notifications require me to tap every time I want to see all notifications from an app.

I get why people like it when notifications are just grouped by app instead of being arranged chronologically (even though I still prefer the latter option) but stacking them just seems like a waste of time to me… :thinking:

OMG! I am soooo sorry that I never saw this post. I’m sure that by now you’ve made a decision on your cord cutting but in the event you’re still pondering, we tried several landing on YouTube TV mostly because it has less buffering problems. If it weren’t for that I’d say Play Station Vu. It had a good channel selection, too. The nice thing about all of them is that you’re not committed for more than 30 days at which point you can simply switch to something else. Once you have Roku you have all sorts of choices. I don’t think you’ll ever regret cutting the cord.

Is PlayStation Vue still incredibly fussy about IP addresses? When I tried it a few years ago I ran into trouble because it didn’t think my ZIP code and IP address matched.

I was able to trace the IP address and figure out what ZIP code PSVue thought I was in, so I could give it the wrong ZIP code and make it happy — but that’s not particularly user-friendly.

I’ve been on YouTube TV for several months now and love it. It’s got a good channel lineup, it seldom buffers, and it has a good DVR setup. The fact that you can have up to six separate users on an account is also a plus.

I didn’t have a problem with PlayStationVu other than buffering was just more than I could stand. That’s why we switched to YouTube TV. We really thought we might switch back at some point because the channel listing was awkward and our local stations weren’t available but then the local stations came on board. The Home vs. List options that seemed unwieldy got less annoying once we got the hang of it. The local station thing was really the major hurdle. We rarely have a buffering problem. I never regret cutting the cord or choosing YouTube TV.

I don’t get why people leave the iPhone at home and go out with just their Apple Watch.

The phone weighs next to nothing so why not just bring it with?

My iPhone goes in in my pocket first thing in the morning and stays with me until I go to sleep, when it charges on the nightstand next to my bed.

1 Like

Ask any runner! :running_man:

1 Like

OK, I’m asking: The iPhone weighs next to nothing and has next to no bulk. Why leave it home? It might be useful.

Runners don’t always have pockets, Mitch.

And even if they do, weight/bulk can indeed be a concern whether or not you want to believe it!

1 Like

No idea of real life utility…image

A decade ago everybody had those. But they’re clunky and often floppy. There’s a reason you rarely see them today…

Yep. And those armbands can also pinch and/or cause chafing.

1 Like