What's the first FUN thing you like to do on a new computer?

Just got a new Macbook Air (replacing my cherished 2012 Macbook Pro which is unrecoverable :slightly_frowning_face:)

I’m excited to give the Air a trial run and I was wondering, once you’ve got it all updated with your previous computer’s stuff and all the setting right, what’s the first thing you like to do? I know some of us can be superstitious about a new computer, so feel free to share some nerdy christening ritual.

Just enjoy the speed bump? Play a favorite tune through the improved speakers?
Maybe play with a new hardware feature? Just run your favorite app or game?

Still uploading my backup as I write, I haven’t decided yet, maybe your idea with be what I’ll want to do!

3 Likes

Great post! For me, I usually find myself browsing through some photos of fun times with family and friends, as the display quality is usually a huge leap from the old computer to the new one.

For me it’s the good feeling I get from having gotten rid of the old cruft. I always set up a new Mac from scratch. Then I can start adding new, improved cruft. :wink:

Not always connected to a computer, but the first thing I try on a new audio system is “Firestarter” by The Prodigy. I’ve been doing that since setting up the computer I used in college which came with a decent subwoofer. :slight_smile:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uYMbPc4H0jo

3 Likes

Just got a new MacBook Air myself and I am enjoying the empty downloads folder and the much improved speakers so far.

2 Likes

I benchmark it. I use a specific modelling tool for work, and everynew PC I get, be it work or play, I’ll run the same test case on the machine with the same version of the program to see what speed I get and how it compares.

Purely for interest really!

1 Like