What's wrong with Evernote?

Evernote used to be a very useful app that I subscribed for 9 years (2011-2020). There has been issues for public concern these years. I left because of v10 released in 2020 which was very unusable. Even Bending Spoon is doing well to fix bugs, I am still not comfortable in using it. Performance issue is why I can’t go back to Evernote.

I understand different people have different views and so many still decided to keep using Evernote. I do respect everyone’s choice. However there are some opinions that I can’t agree, or I think they are ignoring/unsympathetic with other users’ needs (those people who support Evernote called others who complain, even though they are reasonable and rational, as rants). You can find them in the official forums and Reddit.

For example, they will say it’s not good to switch to other apps and you should keep using Evernote. But keeping switching to alternatives doesn’t mean they are always distracted by new shiny toys. If Evernote’s performance is as good as most other apps like UpNote, Bear and Apple Notes. I am sure much less people will complain any more.

However, those die hard supporters will say “I don’t have issues”. “If you don’t like you can go!” Software is, when you are alright doesn’t mean other users are too, that’s why developers have to keep releasing no versions to fix bugs that appear on some bugs.

What causes Evernote to have so many blind supporters blaming users who raise concerns? Will I notice the similar phenomenon in other apps, that die hard supporters will try every means to defend their apps they love?

It’s called Confirmation Bias: “The tendency of people to favor information that confirms or strengthens their beliefs or values and is difficult to dislodge once affirmed.” :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

The danger of calling Confirmation Bias on someone:

Of course, in the absence of actual evidence that one’s opponent has engaged in confirmation bias, it is merely a gratuitous attempt to delegitimize one’s opponent’s arguments.

Confirmation Bias: Real Bias or Delegitimization Rhetoric? | Psychology Today

I did not intend to call it on anyone in particular. :slightly_smiling_face: I was merely observing that some people reject data that is contrary to their biases; in this instance, this could be a factor for why some are resistant to any negative critique of EN or to the suggestion that there may be better options. I did not mean to imply that all dedicated EN users suffer from confirmation bias. My sincerest apology if my comment suggested otherwise. I had no intention of delegitimizing anyone.

1 Like

You can’t import notes into Evernote; that’s what is wrong with it! Not even with Legacy.

I was afraid you would have this reaction. It was not aimed at you or any other specific person. It is my standard response when the concept of confirmation bias is introduced into any conversation.

1 Like

No problem at all. I hope to always remain sensitive to doing something inappropriate so that I can quickly apologize. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This shows a complete lack of an open mind to consider other things or that there maybe a fault in something they use.

Apple makes great products. I love many of the ones I own, but I’m open minded enough to recognise that Apple as a company and individuals makes mistakes, turns our products which are not perfect (butterfly keyboard anyone)

Every sports team/tech fan/car manufacturer has their own zealots. You can’t change their minds so let them be them and make your own mind up.

1 Like

Indeed! When was the last time you heard a fan yell at a referee for missing a foul on his or her team? “Hey, ref, you’re missing a good game. Our man was off-sides!” :rofl:

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:.

I say old chap, our player just punched the goalie! Send him orf!

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

20 characters……

I still use Evernote, primarily for information and email management. My main aggravation is the unending number of free users who have used the product for years and are now upset. Some say they are “supporters” of Evernote and potential paying customers. If you’ve been a free user for eight years, I’m pretty sure you’re not about to start paying. The thread has also filled up with “help me find another free alternative that does what Evernote does.”

4 Likes

I’m not surprised that the free users are upset. I’ve seen people get mad because management ended “casual Friday” or replaced the free coffee service with a “bring your own coffee” Keurig machine. IMO, taking away something that was once free rarely ends well.

4 Likes

Never on my watch, I love casual day and I’m the “CEO.” :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I am going to tell you what I do in life.
I contact the support team to resolve the problem I have. If the support team fixes it or tell me where I made the mistake. I move on with my life. If they can’t provide guidance over a paying produt (I don’t expect for Free and Open Source), I look for alternates.

Arguing with fanbois for any product is a waste of time IMO.

3 Likes

The thing with Evernote’s longevity and the main use case (“remember anything”) has made its current status quo more a personal issue than a technical/platform one. Users are attached to Evernote like they are to their political choices. Hence, you get your typical division of supporters and detractors, becoming more and more polarized. Just like with almost anything else on the Internet these days, to be honest.

1 Like

I can understand how they feel. Upset is one thing, angry is another. Ultimately any product has to at least pay for itself.

But people don’t like change, especially when it inconveniences them in some way.

I’m about to go on my 14th year as a paying user of Evernote, and I’m sticking with it because it’s done all I’ve ever needed it to, and because it still outperforms Apple Notes with certain features. EN got me through graduate school and a challenging PhD program. I now use it for my personal notes in running my career. Yes, the changes implemented with v10 and the sale of the company to Bending Spoons was a bit of a shock (as were the subsequent layoffs here in the U.S.).

I’ve learned to avoid going to the Evernote subreddit as it’s incredibly negative and unmanaged. It’s packed full of folks either publicly breaking up with EN and moving to another app, or they have already moved to another app but are addicted to denigrating EN for upvotes and “karma”. Very little is left to be learned there.

5 Likes

On Reddit they call it ENDS Disease - EverNote Derangement Syndrome.

1 Like

I find that subreddit truly bizarre: it seems mostly populated by people that no longer use EN, and are just there to take any opportunity they can to crap on the app or take shots at Bending Spoons. Certainly not a very collaborative or helpful environment, just a bunch of former users weirdly poking others with a stick.

2 Likes