What's your favorite app that even Apple power users don't know about, but should?

Quiver is a pretty fantastic app for note-taking. Best part is that all your data is stored on your filesystem and it just leverages things like Dropbox/iCloud/Box/etc. for syncing. This is important for when you have a job like mine with really strict rules on where your work documents and notes are allowed to live.

1 Like

Here’s a cool one I forgot earlier: Margin Note is on iOS and Mac (sync via iCloud) for taking notes about PDF and EPUB files. IMG_A055F977E5F1-1

2 Likes

Contexts is a cmd-tab replacement for people like me with a bajillion apps open and a skajillion windows open in each of those apps.

Witch is an alternative to Contexts. It lets you toggle through open tabs as well, but it’s flaky on High Sierra.

https://manytricks.com/witch/

I will likely look for other alternatives to context.io, but context.io is fine.

I use Moom for window management. There are many window management apps out there and not much difference between them in capabilities. This is the one I use and I’m happy with it. You might want to price-shop before settling on one.

https://manytricks.com/moom/

2 Likes

Yate - a very powerful tagger for music files (mp3, flac, etc.). I used to use Media Rage, but Yate is so much better and has the advantage that it’s actively supported.

1 Like

I really like Contexts as well. Much faster than Witch. I would often hit cmd tab in Witch and start typing before the other application came to the foreground. That doesn’t happen in Contexts.

Yes, Witch is laggy. It also has a bug in that it stops indicating which app you’ve selected.

And yet I tried Witch this morning, and I loved that you could navigate through open apps, windows and tabs. As far as I can see, Contexts only supports open apps and windows – not tabs. Am I missing something?

Greatly appreciated when iOS, MacOs, or both is indicated. Threads drift — starts with MacOs but soon iOS is intermixed.

1 Like

One that I like and I don’t believe gets enough attention is Oversight from the developer “Objective See”. It automatically notifies you if your microphone or webcam are activated.

Very useful and provides a sense of security that no one is eavesdropping on you. It helped put my paranoia to rest :slight_smile:

5 Likes

While originally built as church software, Pro presenter would by my obscur software pick, massively overkill for doing most average presentations.

I sometimes have a need to put on more of a live show as part of a product presentation. Or have a desire to get away from the sameness of PowerPoint

4 Likes

One more app that I absolutely love is Hyperdock. It shows little window previews above the dock icons for open windows, useful when you have multiple windows for the same app (example: multiple Excel sheets)

Hyperdock

3 Likes

I’m thinking about checking Hyperdock out.

I use PopClip dozens of times a day. Highlight some text and a little popup bar appears with several options to perform. Best part is you get to customize and prioritize your options. You can pick from over 170+ free extensions for many of your favorite apps (or write your own). It is even context sensitive to distinguish between URLs, emails, dates, etc.

12 Likes

Love PopClip! What’s the extension on the right, with the four arrows facing outward. Some fullscreen-type thing?

Wow! I think you just cost me $29 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Read this thread late on Friday. @MitchWagner you just ruined my weekend :laughing: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Not my own recommendation, but I’ve enjoyed following The Sweet Setup’s RSS feed for this kind of recommendation. They have a “Three apps we’re trying this week” feature that I occasionally see something intriguing in, as well as other posts that sometimes highlight apps I’m not familiar with.

3 Likes

Hyperdock is nice. It’s not receiving a ton of development right now. There was a point release for macOS that broke it for about a week before it was working again, and I’m not sure if the non-dev builds are usable right now (though anyone can get on the dev builds).

1 Like

Yeah, I’m a little concerned with Bahoom (the developer of Hyperdock) in general. They’ve had a switcher in an open beta for many years as well, and I think they’ve given up on it.

https://bahoom.com/hyperswitch

1 Like

If Hyperdock development even dies, I’m going to look into uBar. Until then, no sense in moving for me.

1 Like

I use Anylist to create various lists. It syncs very well between Mac and iOS, and has an excellent Apple Watch app as well. App is great for travel lists, books, movies, shopping lists, etc, etc.

4 Likes