When the laptop is the only computer

I gave in and returned the Anker without opening, getting the classic Caldigit one that I’ve seen recommended - at least it’s got more ports.It costs more but I’m hoping that with recommendations it’ll actually work and I can live the docked lifestyle.
I’ll just have to move my Windows desktop to HDMI.

1 Like

Oh, you are not alone! I ended up creating a mind map of what I already had connected to my Mac mini. From that I worked out what was critical, what was in the “why do I need this?” category and anything in between. Then I mind mapped the theoretical connections I would have connected to my new MacBook Pro and then looked at cables.

1 Like

I’ve just ordered a Dell UltraSharp 27 4K USB-C Monitor - U2720QM and am waiting to seen how everything works out with the monitor ports before getting a dock. And eyeing a CalDigit in case.

Turn your laptop into a three-screen display:

I am not endorsing this product. I just saw the ad on instagram and thought of this discussion.

This is absolutely insane! I love it - thanks for sharing!

I’d be surprised if this solves a problem for anyone, but keen to find out!

1 Like

@zkarj

That’s actually a great idea. I think I will do the same for my iMacPro so that I can see what is actually going on, and then decide what I might do if I go for an M1 Mini.

The USB map you get from System Information is actually not all that great, since it is quite hard to figure out what are external hubs and what are internal hubs that are part of the iMac, so tracing out the various cables will really be a help!

Wow, what a thread. When it was time to get a new machine late in 2019 I attacked the issue from both sides, favouring simplicity over saving money.

A thorough review of all the data I thought I “needed”, including photos, saw my storage needs come down massively. Who needs all those accidental/blurred photos anyway?

So I settled on a MBP16 decked out to the max which is more than enough compute and storage with the convenience of having everything on one computer (though admittedly far from cheap). As far as we have come with cloud services to keep multiple computers in sync, one is still simpler and nicer. Everything as it was and should be all the time.

At the desk I have a 5K LG Ultrafine, a stand for the laptop next to it, and keyboard + mouse. The LG connects with Thunderbolt 3 which leaves some bandwidth for the 3-port USB-C hub it has on the back. There I leave my ethernet & speakers plugged in. So, when I get to the desk it is a single cable to plug into the laptop to take care of all connections. Luckily my work does not involve anything to be plugged in to the computer (like license dongles or microphones etc) so when working away from the desk the MBP16 is fine and I own no dongles. Easy. Nice.

Time machine backups over the network to a Synology (all the other Macs in the house also back up to the same one – it is its only purpose in life). And cloud, obviously.

I love this setup for the great versatility of a laptop and the ease of a single-computer life and single-cable desktop experience.

3 Likes

There is certainly a LOT to be said for reviewing your needs from time to time with brutal honesty.

That would be officially described as “approaching zero” for me. I do delete truly accidental and so-blurred-I-cannot-tell-what-it-is photos, but that’s maybe been a dozen in my 17 years of digital photography.