Where to go after Evernote?

Depends on how you use it. I never did use Evernote (cloud adverse here) but I’ve managed to move all my various types of stuff out of DEVONThink and Scrivener into Obsidian without any issues other than the time it takes to do it.

My current suite of stuff is Obsidian for task and project management, useful bits of stuff, book and article annotations and highlights and what limited drawing I do. Libre Office primarily for spreadsheets and occasional formatted documents. GoodNotes on iPad as a hand writing input device that eventually ends up in Obsidian as typed notes. Readwise Reader for annotating books and as a web clipepr and article annotation. Zotero as the scientific paper bibliography with integration into Obsidian for all annotations on those papers.

So I’d look at what and how you used Evernote and then pick something or a set of new somethings that does what you require.

2 Likes

That’s the part that keeps me in Evernote. Whenever possible, I don’t want to replace one thing with a set of things.

2 Likes

Agreed. The times I’ve left Evernote, I almost always end up using a couple different apps. Then when I go looking for something, I can’t remember where I saved it.

4 Likes

I don’t mind using multiple things if the features and workflows are better. I do want clear clean edges between what is stored or used where though. So I’ve never really run into the problem of where did I put that except during the transition from one system to another where some things have been converted or moved and some things haven’t. Usually that’s the kick I need to finish the conversion/moving of my stuff to the new system. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can vouch for UpNote being a great app. Superb on iOS and macOS. Has so many features and can do automated daily/weekly backups in MD format. What else does anyone need! Bonus $25 for lifetime, its unreal price in today subscription world where every damn app charges couple of bucks a month, even if there are not feature additions or cloud hosting.

Also, the dev is so darn responsive on reddit. I have reported 3 minor/nerdy bugs in the past and they fixed it within 1-2 days including releasing the updated version.

PS: I however backup these MD files to github (automated) and these can be opened in Obsidian, just in case UpNote stop working sometime. That’s the advantage of having automated daily backups in MD format

1 Like

Did UpNote get keyboard shortcuts on the iPad? Last time I considered it, I found it weird that it did not support keyboard shortcuts at all (which is a strange omission for a notetaking app).

Upnote looks amazing. I’m just worried about it being a one man show.

1 Like

If I understand things correctly there’s a team in place. It’s just that there’s only 1 guy (Thomas) who does the “talking” with folks. Others focus on coding.

1 Like

Based on the reddit forums, I think they have a few folks in the team. But the automated daily MD file backups is the best thing about it. Easy portability without worrying about the data lock-in. However, I think that app isn’t going anywhere at least in the near future.

As an Evernote refugee --still paying customer, but don’t know for how long-- I decided that I would not put my data into anything that would not allow me to browse the files in an iCloud Drive folder.

So my main requisite is that the app is able to manage the files in a location of my choosing in iCloud Drive and that it honors the folder structure.

In this way, I can use Notebooks app (good desktop & mobile apps), Obsidian (only on desktop, but good for editing, linking and shuffling around Markdown files) and EagleFiler within the same folder structure. They may do their own indexing thing, but the source of truth is always the filesystem so as a last resort I should be able to use the Finder or Files apps. I believe I could throw Agenda in the mix but that seems overkill to me.

2 Likes

I haven’t cancelled Evernote, although I think about it every few months, mainly because I like the features that @AppleGuy mentioned. I have a DEVONthink database that I use to import Evernote data periodically. For now, it’s mainly an offline repository for me, which also gets synced to my backup locations. If something goes haywire with Evernote or the cost is no longer acceptable, I’m ready to cut the cord quickly.

I wonder if maybe I need to learn to use Evernote better rather than use it less.

I don’t know much about the new owners of Evernote, but realistically I don’t know much about the owners of Obsidian or any other software I use. (Except the stuff I write for myself of course :sunny: ). All of these are behind a corporate screen. It’s all about “trust but backup”. It’s on me to manage my data.

2 Likes

So my main requisite is that the app is able to manage the files in a location of my choosing in iCloud Drive and that it honors the folder structure.

As per @pantulis and others who may be interested, one can easily access files stored in DEVONthink from the Mac files app. as shown in this screenshot. You can edit the file outside of DT and the changes show up in DT.

Just passing this along for those who desire to be able to access files on the Mac rather than from within a propriety system if and when needed.

3 Likes

Messing with any files in a macOS DEVONthink database (a macOS package) is discouraged and not recommended by DEVONthink documentation. Yes, nothing stops you but Best not to do. Caveat emptor.

The good about this is that your files not locked up in some proprietary file or file system as some other popular apps impolitely do. Your files are available for recovery if DEVONthink app is not available for whatever reason.

Yes on iOS DEVONthink ToGo access is provided to the documents in the iOS standard ways using the iOS Files app. iOS completely different than macOS for file access.

3 Likes

Great advice. I’ll not edit files that way but it is good to know I CAN access them if ever needed.

I also was a long-time Evernote user. What I found important was in-app editing, but also a file-system based backend so that I could add things without having to go through the app. Keep It is what I settled on.

1 Like

I. agree with the Apple Guy. I have been saying that Evernote still works great for years on this forum. I have gotten so much more from Evernote than whatever they charge. the Swiss have a saying something for something. I have a little shy of 10,000 notes and EV handles it smoothly. I say ditto to all the functions that Apple Guy said.

I have one request for help. I would like to download all 10,000 in lots of various folders onto my Mac Studio and back all notes off line can any help me how to do that. Is there any easy way. I do have EV legacy as well as most recent version. thanks in advance

John

1 Like

Evernote currently supports exporting up to 100 notes at a time or entire notebooks.

And EagleFiler is a program that can import Evernote .enex files. It’s the one I used when I decided to leave EN.

You might also try ExportNote, available on the Mac App Store. https://exportnote.app

Damian Mehers is VERY responsive if you have any problems using the app.

2 Likes

This is great - thank you! I had no idea this existed but it’s exactly what I need to keep using Evernote without any concern for their corporate future.

Did anyone here actually end up sticking with Evernote? Did you dance with other options before deciding to stay?