Which is your primary browser on the Mac?

It really is an invaluable circadian-rhythm-protecting tool (along with the venerable F.lux).

Dark Reader works impressively well on most websites. Funny that you show it on Gmail, though. It sometimes struggles with websites with more complex elements (Facebook being another example).

1 Like

I think the dark mode in combination with the Gmail theme I have installed really looks great. The colors pop and the overall look is good. I do, however, wish Google would update the Gmail logo. It looks tired. :slight_smile:

Just skimmed over the post. May I be the first one to say openly that I am using the Edge browser on an all-Apple ecosystem and actually enjoying the experience? I was searching for a safe browser that lets me make 1password the only password manager (not possible on Safari), not put too much load on the processor (Chrome gone), and with a clean slate in terms of data usage purposes (Opera and Vivaldi gone…). I wanted access to the Chrome extensions (bye Firefox) and wanted to have mobile counterparts to sync with.
While there still might be other options, I went with Edge and didn’t regret it up to this moment. Stable, sync is flawless, search engine and password manager is fully flexible, Chrome web store is only the matter of a checkbox and all the rest is a breeze. It even can create little Web applets that function as Apps out of the box. Very helpful. Needless to say that it plays nice with all the Microsoft 365 stuff. So, why not?

1 Like

Is there an iOS version and does it sync bookmarks, etc., with the Mac?

Yes and yes!
Full-fledged access to all the Mac bookmarks.

2 Likes

Well, I may have to give the “dark side” a look. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you find cpu/ram usage with edge to be less than Chrome even though it’s still a chromium based browser? Cheers

Going to give it a go :smile:

I’ve tested Edge for battery life and it still makes my battery drain 3-4 hours earlier than Safari in everyday use. I tried it for a week and it was the same every day. Chrome and Brave have the same effect.

It’s no good for me as I don’t have my MacBook connected to power most days while I’m working.

Yeah that’s hardly suprising. For me, though, my MacBook (Pro 2017) is docked to an external display 95% of the time. Only problem is that it’s dual core, 8GB RAM :cry:

I’m planning on overcompensating with my next Mac purchase.

1 Like

Unfortunately Edge turns out to be one of the worst privacy offenders, worse even than Chrome itself.

1 Like

Edge is just another case showing that if you aren’t paying for it, you aren’t the customer; you are the product.

Agree that that’s not cool and shouldn’t be happening at all, but what if you just turn off search autocomplete?

Read the report linked to in the article - it phones back home with telemetry data.

From a privacy perspective Microsoft Edge and Yandex are much more worrisome than the other browsers studied. Both send identifiers that are linked to the device hardware and so persist across fresh browser installs and can also be used to link different apps running on the same device. Edge sends the hardware UUID of the device to Microsoft, a strong and enduring identifier than cannot be easily changed or deleted. Similarly, Yandex transmits a hash of the hardware serial number and MAC address to back end servers. As far as we can tell this behaviour cannot be disabled by users. In addition to the search autocomplete functionality (which can be disabled by users) that shares details of web pages visited, both transmit web page information to servers that appear unrelated to search autocomplete.

1 Like

I haven’t had a chance to read through the posts yet, but I’m glad to see that people are thinking about security, privacy, extensions, profiles, and all.

Any chance we could create a new poll to gauge what people are using now? Since this poll was originally in Jun 2018, I wonder how different the results would be.

1 Like

I use several ( mainly Safari, Brave, and Firefox) simultaneously for different purposes. I like Firefox’s Profiles. But it lacks AppleScript support.

I try to close windows and quit my browsers frequently, so as not to be distracted by them. When I go away from Mac, I make sure that my todo list is front and center, for my return

1 Like

Before I moved to Brave, I even used another browser called Waterfox, which is built on Firefox but support add-ons for earlier version 57. The launch speed is quite good, but the interface is a bit ugly and the icon changed even worse, lol. I then don’t use it anymore.

1 Like

Safari except if the website has a weird behavior. Then I try with Chrome.

1 Like

Regarding Brave:

Yeah, they appended affiliate links to crypto sites visited. Clever yet creepy. Most sites that link to Amazon/ebay/BestBuy do the same, but this is the first time I’ve heard of a browser doing it. Not right, but it was in the code on Github for people to find, and it was found, and the company apologized and pulled it. The CEO apologized two days ago and said it wouldn’t happen again: "The autocomplete default was inspired by search query clientid attribution that all browsers do, but unlike keyword queries, a typed-in URL should go to the domain named, without any additions…Sorry for this mistake — we are clearly not perfect, but we correct course quickly. We will never revise typed in domains again, I promise.”

Creepy behavior is not really something I’d want from my browser. This really is a huge disqualification.

I think this discloses a fundamental problem with an increasing number of software companies. You can’t run a company with just free products.

1 Like