Why are (iOS) email apps so bad?

This is currently only available on iPad but will also work on iPhone with iOS 15.

Missed that snippet. I was hoping it would be the case, thanks a lot for confirming!

My biggest feature request for any mail app is that it connects directly to my mail accounts without any intervention in the middle.

Spark is almost perfect but for this issue.

1 Like

At this point, I’d pay $5/month for Mail with a Share Sheet, and $10 a month for Mail with a Share Sheet and Mail Rules. Based on what I’ve read from others here on talk.macpowerusers and from what I’ve heard on podcasts, I’m not the only one…

I’m not sure I understand. Can you clarify?

Just a thought…

I’m wondering if this will be moot eventually. Apple is building iCloud mail to allow for custom domains, and then (I believe) you can have server-side rules. The other missing piece would be share sheet functionality, but that might be moot too with the ability to drag and drop an email on iOS 15.

With Gmail / Outlook / Fastmail, you have the ability to run server-side rules. With Gmail / Outlook they have add-ons to export your emails to other services (like Todoist and what not).

I’m wondering if email app developers just have settled with Gmail/Outlook and said why bother?

I realize they aren’t supporting snoozing and send later, but I think those might be fringe requirements. I know I have never wanted to snooze an email. :blush:

3 Likes

Some email apps (Spark, Newton, Missive) store your account’s auth token on their server, and then you login with a single account that they use to tie them all together. I understand why they do it. It allows you to just have one account and then gain access to all your accounts through it. But it’s a large security breach should their server’s keys get hacked, or someone hacks your email client account. :blush:

Other email apps: Apple Mail, Outlook, etc… require that you login with every account on every device. More secure, but also a pain if you have to switch devices, or your auth token expires.

4 Likes

I don’t want an interim “service” doing anything with my email.

I don’t want my email being stored in another service or being handled by another service a la Spark or even something like Sane (Yes, I know. Not a client)

I want my email to go directly from the email server to my client. With no intervention.

Agreed, this is what happened with another such service. I think it was NewtonMail, but I could be wrong.

This is a good point. One downside of server side rules, though, is that they can’t leverage e.g., Contacts integrations. I’d rather not get all of my contacts set up on all of my email accounts. But, if what you’re describing comes to fruition, I’d do it!

Oh, I remember Dispatch! I can’t remember why I stopped using it.

its last update was for iPhone X but it still works fine in iOS 14.6. the only problem I have with it is no office365 support. Works great for gmail and other imap. No notifications though. When my iPhone was jailbroken I used a tweak to keep it alive in the background checking for new mail to get it to activte the notifications.

Just for clarification. Outlook for iPadOS does have snoozing. I’ll have to check on the send later functionality. I use Outlook for work email and it’s not bad, but apple mail for personal use.

1 Like

This would be an absolute dealbreaker for me.

I’d just like better filing - with the Machine Learning capabilities now built into iOS devices and M1 Macs, there’s no reason Mail should only suggest a single folder and leave you to pick a folder otherwise.

A bit OT. I remember listened on a Podcast (either one of Relay’s or MacStories’) that Mail.app on iOS used to be very unreliable in slow connection. The issue fixed because one of Apple executives tried to read and reply important email in airport, but they fail to do so because of super slow internet connection.

I tried Googling & DDGing for related article but cannot find one. Can someone confirm that my memory serves me well? :grin:

I’m totally with you on that one. (though for me mail.app works perfectly fine)

Problem might be though that people interested in these forums are probably a (very very) small subset of the people using Apple devices. And for the very large majority the mail apps are completely fine.

2 Likes

As always, each to their own. :grinning:

2 Likes

if Apple would just make attachments work in Mail the way they do in third-party clients, that would solve one significant gripe many have with the stock app. Since there’s been no word of any such change since WWDC ’21, looks like the Monterey version will continue down the same odd-duck path as its predecessors where attachment-handling is concerned.

1 Like

I reread my comment and decided that it’s somewhat ambiguous as to whether or not I’m in agreement with you. Just for the sake of clarity, I very much am :slight_smile: (In some cases, the kind of arrangement you’re describing is actually in violation of the terms of service of the aggregated service(s).)

1 Like

This is a bit off-topic, but I’ve been wondering how many users sync their mail with iCloud?