Why do my app permissions reset at reboot?

I am very much stumped by an issue I occasionally saw on my previous iMac, and that is now creeping on my M1 Mac mini that I have however started fresh.

When I reboot my machine, very often a random portion of the power apps we use and love – BTT, Hazel, Bartender – complain that they don’t have the necessary system permissions (screen recording and so on). But not all of them, which is weird. When I go to sys prefs, of course, they still all have those permissions, and very often, the only fact that I open the preference panel “reminds” the apps that the permissions have been granted. If that does not do the trick, unchecking and rechecking them works…

But there is no reason for the apps to complain that they don’t have permissions they visibly have (and still had during the last session). And it’s irritating to do that dance at every startup.

Did anybody face such weirdness? Would you have any idea as to what could be causing this?

Exactly the same problem with my 2017 Intel MacBook Pro on Big Sur.

Adding Alfred to the list of affected MPU favourites.

1 Like

I saw this recently on my M1 Mac mini.

Rebooting again seemed to “solve” it, at least for the time being.

2 Likes

This happens occasionally. Randomly. It seems to be something like an incomplete boot process – other symptoms are: not all login items are launched; Safari forgets what windows were opened; etc. Reboot helps as @tjluoma suggested. If things get crazy I boot in Safe Mode and then run Onyx. MacOS can be fragile at times.

1 Like

Thanks, good to know that at least I’m not the only one… for a moment I was wondering if something I was doing has redone the issue on a separate machine unwittingly.
It’s very strange as I ran my iMac for years without that issue. I suspect Big Sur here (it’s a very new problem on my end) - these permissions things come from the right intentions, but gosh isn’t the execution poor.

I had the same thing happen on my 2018 (Intel) Mac Mini a few weeks ago. None of the apps I had installed had any of the permissions I had given them. As @tjluoma has already said, a reboot fixed everything. Not sure why it happened, and it has no happened since. My Mac is running Big Sur and it was up to date at the time.

1 Like

Well, the issue happened at every startup over the past three days, but not today.

Maybe I should start praying to the Machine God…

Obviously background construction for the new mac walled garden. Nothing to see here. Carry on citizen. :grinning:

I probably need the macOS gremlins’ hands at this stage to help with that :grinning:

Yes. Yes it is.  

1 Like

Has anyone found a solution to this problem by now (other than just restarting over and over again)?
This is happening at about every second startup on my MacBook. But when I google for app permissions bugs, all I find are “access denied”-errors and how to fix those.

Is this still a thing in Monterey? On the other hand, reading the “known issues which Apple doesn’t seem to care about”-lists for Monterey, I’m not sure those are a better. :grimacing:

This just stopped happening for me on macOS version 12.3.1 (21E258) (latest non beta).

I don’t know why it happened, and I don’t know why it stopped. But I am grateful that it did.

2 Likes