Why don’t iOS icons stay put?

Rhetorical question, but hoping someone with pull will see it, or I’ll start an uprising :slightly_smiling_face:
I want 1Password on the lower left of the screen, near my thumb, safari on the right. If I move an icon higher up on the screen into a folder, it doesn’t mean I want everything else rearranged. Just leave a space. I’ll put something there if I want too.

It reminds me of the old Windows option to auto arrange the desktop that used to make people crazy.

1 Like

I agree. This is one area of iOS that drives me crazy. I just want to move an icon from page 2 to page 1 and the whole world moves around. I depend on a lot of muscle memory when using the phone so having something like Messages move from location X to location Y completely screws me up.

It’s gotten to the point that I avoid moving things that I want to move because I am worried that it will screw up the locations of other things. That’s sad :frowning:

This is one of the few things that I miss from Android: the distinction between the home screen and the app drawer.

On Android, downloading an app doesn’t immediately place it on your home screen (unless you set it to). Instead, it goes into the “app drawer”, which is just an alphabetical list of everything you’ve installed.

The homescreen is entirely your responsibility. You can put whatever apps (or widgets if you’re feeling frisky) anwhere you want on the grid. It’s much more like your Mac desktop than iOS Springboard.

(Other things I miss from Android: Apps that can have the privilege to change your system settings, better notifications and notification settings.)