Why Dropbox could have been reluctant to bother with Apple Silicon

Exactly this. Which is why I’m optimistic about this debate either way. Either local software will develop to support collaboration like SaaS apps, or cloud apps will become so fluid and awesome to use that we’ll gladly give up our powerful machines to use them on thin clients. Either way, whatever end result we get will be great.

1 Like

I don’t think you are a minority at all. I’m thinking like that already for a while.

My content (files, pics, the entire internet, ecetera) is in a parchment box (cloud) and my devices(Mac, iPad, iPhone) are different size holes cut in the sides to access them and manipulate them. Depending on context I use the entryway best suited to reach them.

I think in business is quite understood, especially since covid hit.

I have two Macbooks that sync via iCloud and optimize storage, so really they are just windows to my data.

1 Like

My brothers wife, a programmer, held that view as well. She thought that this is a back and forth, she told me in the mid 2010’s. I said, I think of personal computing as a interregnum phase that will fade. The last time we talked she was doubting and thought I might have been right.
We will see:) It’s gonna be interesting!

I am guessing the conference was run by a company with a vested interest in the cloud?

I work alone from home with local and dropbox sync. I (think) I never use browser based software and seem to manage perfectly well. I can also proudly say I have never had a zoom meeting :wink:

All of the predictions assume a bubble of a good fast and relabel internet connection, there are still many places in the world where that is way way off.

For me, web-based apps can’t touch a good Mac app for pleasant user experience. But I’m happy to use a web app for a centralized function that must offer the widest possible compatibility and reach.

True. Before Covid I had traveled to southern border of Mexico where cell coverage was poor and the data available was just enough to prevent Messages from switching to SMS but not enough to send a text to my family.

Hopefully Starlink and similar projects will help in these areas. But the best solution for the US, IMO, is for the government to break up the legal monopolies they created and allow municipal WiFi, etc.

A printed penguin edition can’t touch a written medieval tome. Still the printed word won. Many at the time thought it would not not happen based on the poor quality of printed paper, not seeing that quality is not always the most valuable attribute. I have only seen written medieval tomes in the museum (and I’m interested in ME literature).

I guess that’s the fate of mac app in the long run. We will of course see and I hope I’m wrong since I love using only mac apps and quality and beauty are important to me.

3 Likes