Will the new Reminders updates in Catalina/iOS 13/iPadOS kill Things?

I have been trying Goodnotes as a Things replacement. There are a lot of things I like more such as:

• Better Siri Integration
  • Fast button to launch URL embedded in Notes or URL Field
  • Smart lists
    But Things has such a great keyboard support (esp. on iPad) it really is convenient for navigating the app and adding tasks.
    I guess I will have to try the new Reminders before I can decide what works best for me. I am looking forward to try the attachments feature since a lot of task managers except Todoist do not support them.

For most, I think you are right.

For me, thereā€™s always something that Apple leaves out; I believe (in Appleā€™s mind) theyā€™d rather offer a pared down solution and take 30% on a more complete solution, rather than implement all themselves and get no App Store commission.

I utilize a ā€˜repeat after completion dateā€™, as well as a ā€˜repeat on assigned dateā€™. Reminders doesnā€™t have the former, which means Iā€™m never 100% satisfied with it as my only solution.

2 Likes

I used to think that as well. However, iā€™ve being trying to simplify as much as possible and have found Agendaā€™s integration with Reminders and Calendar pretty good for managing projects.

1 Like

Yep. You need to use a third party tool. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Interesting. How do you use Reminders/Calendar/Agenda to manage projects?

Just starting with my experimentation with this so far; so very early days. You can set up areas and within that projects for taking notes. Notes can be linked to calendar events and reminders. They can also contain their own internal check lists, which you can link to a reminder (although completing the reminder doesnā€™t automatically check the list item - yet, at least). You can set up calendar events and reminders from within Agenda. So, itā€™s a central hub for work.

You can download it for free, although some of the integrations (such as reminders integration) is a free upgrade.

Not a great explanation, Iā€™m afraid. But itā€™s pretty flexible and others may set it up differently.

2 Likes

Things die very, very slowly. I mean, there are still organizations relying on fax machinesā€¦

I predict both will co-exist for a long time.

Oh, I see. So Agenda becomes your interface to Reminders. Neat!

2 Likes

I just discovered Reminders on Catalina no longer allows me to copy and paste an entire list. It was bad enough when I had to copy a list and paste it into TextEdit, etc. in order to print. Now I have to copy items one at a time? Really?

Iā€™m open to suggestions for a replacement app for Mac & IOS. It needs to allow me to add items via Siri and sync between platforms. My first thought was Things.

Comments/Suggestions?

2 Likes

Same here. I still use Omifocus just for that feature. Repeat After tasks go in Omnifocus, everything else goes in Apple reminders.

1 Like