Will this spill over to Apples devices everywhere?

This does not prevent you from using an USB-C to USB-A cable with the device instead.

But imagine if they decided to standardize on the Apple 30 pin connector? Weā€™d be stuck with this giant, clunky plug for way too long because it had become codified into law.

1 Like

No, the two are completely unrelated. The EU could ban cars, flights and red meat on environmental reasons but will not because - of course - there would be significant negative consequences.

Deciding not to do anything about those is not an argument against doing something about chargers which will have a significant environmental impact and cause next to zero disruption for consumers. Indeed, it would be nice to use the (USB-C!) charger for my Apple devices, given I can use them for my Asus laptop, Pixel phone and Boox e-Readerā€¦ and have been able to for years. Thereā€™s nothing stopping Apple offering Magsafe chargers too for those want them.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s provision in the legislation for updating the standard. It prevents divergent standards which all essentially do the same thing.

1 Like

I prefer voluntary standards organizations like the W3C who develop the standards for the world wide web. Companies like Apple and Microsoft are involved and the standard changes based on the needs of technology. As we all know, politicians and political bodies have their own, non-technical incentives which are not well suited to solving technical problems.

1 Like

As stated in their releases, the EU preferred other bodies getting this sorted out too. But, it didnā€™t happen and now we have this.

3 Likes

As @GraemeS says, there was a voluntary standard first, this work has been ongoing since 2005 when a memorandum was brought in. The reason we have less cable diversity today is because of this. However (and this is the key bit), industry has not met the required standards voluntarily, so now the law will force them to do so. This could have been ā€œeasilyā€ avoided had industry voluntarily met the standards that the EU was asking for. Which, itā€™s worth reiterating for non-EU people - the EU is asking for this because we as EU consumers want them (in majority). Most people do not want many different chargers that only work with one device. Itā€™s annoying (have you ever been in an office without your own charger, and then been unable to find someone who has the charger for your specific device? Itā€™s irritating).

3 Likes

I also have one of those boxes. Lots of dongles (30pin) to remind my how much money I wasted there. Lighting on the iPhone and USB-C on the iPad. Doesnā€™t make sense. Iā€™d be glad if I could charge everything with one connector.

3 Likes

Itā€™s hard to discuss this across the pond. This regulation, in hand with GDPR and Chat Control, are ultimately about asserting control over the US tech industry, so naturally Europeans like them. Itā€™s like when the US bans Chinese companies from receiving certain ASML tech or selling 5G networking hereā€“these laws are popular in the US because they hurt a technology industry seen as threatening.

I do think Apple will have little trouble implementing USB-C. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ve had USB-C models prototyped for years.

1 Like

My criticism: only applies to phones/tablets.

I really would love to get rid of all those wall warts if a unified (chainable) connector was available.

I already have USB-C cables everywhere (because my e-Reader and my work phone have it), and lightings cable (because of Apple). Plugged into a multiple chargers with USB-A connectors. So the move would only mean i can remove the lighting cable and have 2/3 USB-C cables on each one. No big deal for me. And yes, Apple probably already prototyped an USB-C iPhone.

But: the hueh gain would be a connector for everything low voltage. The wall-wart parade under my desks is insane. And nothing is compatible (formwise). We already unified 220v-connectors (almost), I could see a benefit in having standards for low-voltage stuff. Router, Scanner, DAC, Hub, ā€¦ everything needs its own particular ā€œchargerā€.

The history of GDPR goes back to 1995 (Directive 95/46/EC, which was widely ignored) and to the 50/60ies (ECHR) and regulations that already applied to the fax era. In fact, there wasnā€™t much new in GDRP. If you were 95/46/EC-compliant, just some minor adoptions. The one big exception: height of fines. I canā€™t exactly recall the ā€œoldā€ fines, but they were peanuts (think 500ish), so nobody really cared.
As for Chat Controlā€¦thatā€™s a weird one. It seems to come not from trade, but from intelligence services. Think back to the time of Patriot Act/Freedom Act, any backdoor into European communications was rejected by European authorities. And there were initiatives. When the ā€œterrorismā€ argument failed, they came up with ā€œchild protectionā€. Letā€™s see what happensā€¦this one will be a hot one in the EU judicial system. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here is an interesting article about that. :wink:

1 Like

Unfortunately this is the sensationalist side of the story youā€™ve swallowed. This isnā€™t about Apple, itā€™s about ALL technology over the next few years. Apple is one of (if not the) largest tech company in the world and garners clicks.

Apple is well in the minority of the number of devices is ships with lightning v the number of devices shipped with USB-C (including many of Appleā€™s now).

GDPR is not about Tech, itā€™s about Privacy and Peopleā€™s rights to have control over how their data is used. Tech is one of many industries to be caught in the crossfire. But I for one would love Facebookā€™s exceptionally poor data privacy practices to be stamped out. Too many companies are making money from other peopleā€™s data unlawfully, and quite often without the personā€™s knowledge.

4 Likes

I hear you. Like I said, this is a hard conversation to have.

The GDPR fine database demonstrates how itā€™s not only tech. Employees looking up private data, misuse, etc. Itā€™s useful regulation albeit under-enforced at the moment.

2 Likes

As a side note, I just bought a new vaping device (Blu) and it comes with a fracking micro-usb connector. This regulation cannot come soon enough.

Exactly, many companies have fallen foul for purely poor practices.

1 Like

What sort of labeling do you look for?

Yeah, is it so hard to ask for color coding?
They just released the spec for HDMI 2.1a. Not 2.2. Not 3 - 2.1a!
How the hell is my mother going to know which HDMI cable to get?

Sheā€™s so confused by her iPhone not using the same charging cable as her Samsung work-phone that she keeps the power adapter separate as well - even though they both use usb-a; and I get it!
Explaining that that actually IS the same is just going to confuse herā€¦

Do none of these standards organizations have humans working there anymore? Is it just AIs masquerading as technical writers?

2 Likes