Windowing/workspace strategies: where do you put what and why?

That looks fantastic. What kind of work do you do?

I am a physician involved in legal consulting work known as Life Care Planning (calculating future medical expense costs for individuals involved in an accident or injury)

Actually most of my work is from my home office nowadays - thus the RV mobile office is for sale and I am revising the multi-monitor setup for my home office where I currently do most of my work.

2 Likes

Presumably the van is for site visits to injury locations?

I use spaces and mission control on my single monitor setup. It is super convenient to access through the gestures on my Magic Trackpad. At the home office with my Magic Mouse it’s not nearly as convenient. I really don’t like reaching for the function keys…

2 Likes

No - for a number of years I was doing quite a bit of travel related to a different part of my consulting practice. The van was very useful to turn that travel time into productive time.

What was the travel for, if you don’t mind my asking? Were you doing work in the van related to your travel, or was the van used for other work while traveling, work that could be done elsewhere?

I’ve read a bit about the “digital nomad” lifestyle, people who travel around the world while working as software developers, writing unrelated to their travel, and other jobs – sometimes with full-time employers.

The work in the van was not related to my travel. I was traveling related to medicolegal cases whereI needed to examine a patient in person. The work in the van related to document review cases which could be done anywhere/anytime without the need to examine a patient in person. The van let me turn the non-productive travel time into productive billable time. The van was extremely useful for that purpose but currently almost all of my work is from home with limited travel - and when I do travel, often it is far enough that I need to fly.

Thus I am in the process of updating my home multi-monitor workstation - which will be driven by a new Mac Pro since I need to do OCR on extremely large documents (10,000+ pages) and that is a very CPU-intensive process.

Ah. Still, the van is a great idea. And, as noted elsewhere in this thread, very futuristic!