Would you like to see a new Apple AirPort router with WiFi 6E?

Figure out or ask them to put it in “Bridge Mode” this will make their box to only provide internet so you can fully control your network with your own router and wifi

Already done. That’s what I meant with “dumbing” it down. Can’t be done in the GUI, with my provider you have to call them and hope the operator knows what you are talking about. They remotely set it into bridge mode, you reboot and that’s it.

1 Like

Next step to keep your ISP from peeking into your internet traffic short of enabling a VPN tunnel on your router is to enable DNS over HTTPS (DoH). Its not common on most consumer routers but the Synology RR2600AC has it. I have enabled it on all of them and set Cloudflare as DNS provider :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also … already done. :smiley: One of the reasons I use a RT2600ac is because I can configure … basically everything.

I use ExpressVPN when I’m on a foreign WiFi network. Or when I want to watch video only available in another country. It’s so fast I’ve sometimes forgotten and left it on for days.

But I have no need to mask my normal usage. Thanks to constant leaks of my financial, medical, and purchase data, etc. by the us government, equifax, and various other companies, I can’t think of anything about me that isn’t already known.

41.4 million American healthcare records were breached in 2019 alone. IMO, personal privacy has been dead for years. I just do what I can to protect assets.

Also: depends on where you live.

I think there might be a market for it, just because a number of people would like an Apple monitor for their Apple computer (laptop or Mini).

The thing with the monitor is that development costs would be minimal. Sure, there’d be some cost, but they could basically just gut their iMac and ship the panel. And any extra work they’d be doing would be within their wheelhouse, as opposed to something like a router where they don’t have any apparent (current) engineering expertise.

If they wanted to do a nice bonus, they could add some engineering time and do what they did with the older displays - add ports and make the monitor a docking station for laptops. If they could integrate a Thunderbolt dock, that would be a significant value-add for a segment of their market.

I don’t disagree, but the dominos seem to be lining up for some big changes.

In 1997 “the Australian government passed a law that permits government enforcement agencies to force businesses to hand over user info and data even though it’s protected by cryptography. If firms don’t have the power to intercept encrypted data for authorities, they will be forced to create tools to allow law enforcement or government to have access to their users’ data”. AFAIK it has not yet been used.

Some years earlier Australia joined into an intelligence-sharing relationship with Canada, New Zealand, the US, and the UK. Japan is expected to join soon.

Once Australia, or some other country forces Google, Apple, or some other big tech company to break encryption, how many hours do you think it will be before the same demands from every other country in the world start arriving?

On the plus side, once our illusion of privacy is gone, I can see the possibility of some real interesting advances.

My guess is that a new Apple display will probably be priced closer to the base model 5K iMac ($1799) than $1000.

On the other hand: starting 25.05.18 GDPR took privacy to a new level in the EU. And I really applaud the EU for doing that. Actually I sometimes need a VPN server outside the US to read some news sites which were self-blocked, because the amount of user-tracking they are doing is illegal in the EU.

1 Like

For $1799 I can get superb monitors (full AdobeRGB, 4K,…). Would be interesting what Apple would deliver and how a “low cost” Apple monitor would compare to the competition.

I’d expect a really good display panel (presumably whatever they use on the next iMac), a rock-solid Thunderbolt hub built-in (hubs built into 3ʳᵈ party displays often seem to be flaky), and great design. Given the lessons of the pandemic, maybe a good webcam? (could help sell displays to people to use with their laptops). Possibly a nanotexture matte option (for an extra $500).

If it’s wide gamut (full AdobeRGB) for that price point (and evenly lit)…for $1799…count me in.

They have such laser focus on their product that they still sell in only… checks again… oh, wow! They’ve expanded to a massive eight countries now. Last time I looked it was two. But… still not mine. And it wouldn’t matter if they did now anyway as my old AirPort Extreme was in need of replacement and Orbi were available. It connects directly to my fibre ONT and I spend precisely zero time worrying about it.

Yes. Listening to ATP it’s not exactly a crowded market because only Mac users want “hi-dpi” (i.e. retina). A lot of us would love a 5K iMac experience with a laptop. Given my (not Ultrafine) LG 4K is failing (light leakage) and does not play well with my Macs at times, I’d jump at a monitor that was just the 5K panel from an iMac. Add anything else like charging and a hub and I’ll be falling over myself. Whereas a monitor that costs nearly three and a half times what my M1 MBP cost is… a lottery win only.

Well, we will have to wait and see. :man_shrugging:

They should’ve done it in 2018 then. :wink:

Yes, exactly!

Why so?

Maybe you should link a $1799 monitor that has all those benefits.

Legacy ports? I don’t see the point of upgrading the webcam.

Yes! Please!

Can we see a new AirPort router announced alongside that new monitor? :wink:

An AirPort router that could take advantage of all the benefits of fiber optic would be really nice.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1566864-REG/eizo_cs2740_4k_bk_coloredge_cs2740_27_hardware.html

4K, AdobeRGB, 10bit, 16bit LUTs, hardware calibration possible, color management, uniformity is sensational,…

I’ll only go for the router if it has those wild holes the Mac Pro and XDR display have. I’m sure the wifi antennas will work fine.

I’m curious what benefits you’re referring to. My fibre connection terminates on a wall in my house, from where an ethernet cable goes directly to the Orbi router which handles the login and VLAN needs (I have an old school landline that necessitates two VLANs). So I have 100 megabit (what I pay for) to the wall, then gigabit from there or WiFi 5 for those that need it. As far as I am concerned it’s an extremely reliable fat pipe that I never think about on a daily basis.

Nice! Now I want to buy one! :sweat_smile:

Multi-gigabit WiFi speeds? Businesses often have 10 Gbps fiber optic. The newest AirPort router released all the way back in 2013 is beginning to show its age.

Oh, OK. I would have just put that as “new” as in “release a new (and therefore faster) router.” I wouldn’t characterise that as fibre-specific. I don’t think Apple’s routers have ever been aimed higher than SMB and home, anyway.

1 Like

No. For big offices/buildings…not Apple.