Writers: organizing, quickly moving sections around?

@iApple I wouldn’t worry about the last update date. Works perfectly fine in Ventura.

For most of my markdown work I use iA Writer or Nota. Both are wonderful. However, for your specific issue Multimarkdown Pro works wonderfully. What’s great is all my MD files remain in the same folder. So “location” never changes, just the tool that I think best fits the writing needs. For long writing where you might want to reorder by header level then MMD Pro is my go to.

If your writing is really long, e.g. a novel, then I’d definitely use Scrivener. You can rearrange order using the cork board, but you can also rearrange by moving the sections in the left-hand side (binder area). Easy enough to export as MD.

1 Like

MultiMarkdown Composer is under active development no use it frequently, and also use the nvUltra beta. There have been some delays because of Covid, as someone mentioned, Fletcher is a doctor.

What @NiranS said about Scrivener is spot-on: I use only a fraction of its features, but what I use is perfect for my needs.

Both are the kind of apps that came up in another thread: “feature-complete” apps – they are still being actively developed and maintained, and improved (I believe Fletcher has been overhauling some of the underlying code in MMC), but I don’t think either need dramatic new features to be excellent apps.

2 Likes

Thanks again everyone for your time and suggestions. Tested MultiMarkdown Composer for few minutes and immediately paid for upgrade.

Reasons for choosing is it serves my need to organize MD files as they grow, easy to learn the app, scrolling editing file with preview to almost perfection - first I’ve seen this done in an app and ability to access MD files in DEVONthink (unfortunately my MD files and more importantly I have so much data in DEVONthink that’ll take too much work to migrate out). Though will still use iA Writer to write most of the time - better looking app and works on Mac, iPad and iPhone.

Maybe I’ll still buy scrivener one day because it looks good, extremely powerful and tonnes of loyal users. At this stage, MultiMarkdown Composer should suit my needs.

5 Likes

Great to hear. I have a kind of hierarchy of writing apps:

nvUltra and Noteplan for quick/short notes for future reference or anything I want to link to other notes, MultiMarkdown Composer for discrete documents (or Typora occasionally when formatting is relevant, but I hate how it handles pasted formatted content), and Scrivener when a writing project gets big enough that organization is difficult otherwise.

1 Like

The Obsidian plugin Quiet Outline enables this functionality. It also improves on Obsidian’s built-in Outline/TOC functionality in several respects.

Cheers. Will check it out