Your favorite Apple Watch 8 use cases

Works on both of mine, I have a Series 4 and an Ultra. 2 things to consider: 1. Don’t wait for the Siri graphic to appear, just start speaking and 2. Bring your watch very close, 2-3 inches, from your mouth. As you start speaking, the Siri graphic should appear and respond.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies. Keep more coming because I just ordered an AW8! It will be my first luxury item I’ve bought in a long time. But the goal is to use it well.

btw, I went to the store tonight and with hardly anyone there, I tried ApplePay with my watch and it failed. I look forward to this problem going away soon enough.

2 Likes

Thanks! The trick was to just start speaking and not wait for Siri to activate. Soooo much better now!

4 Likes

In addition to things mentioned below

1. Finding my iPhone.
  2. Automatically unlocking my Mac
  3. Looking at tides (I live near ocean)
4 Likes

This is great. Looking to do this as well…

2 Likes

You all see this?!?! @pkondo doesn’t see what’s happening here, but I do…. You’re doing it AGAIN! Turning yet another poor unsuspecting soul into a super-consumer! &@&! this place. I’m outta here. See you tomorrow…

1 Like

Yes, forgot about a couple of those.

1. MS Authenticator, for Authentication of entry into my work system when my iPhone is out of reach.
  2. Finding my iPhone when I left it elsewhere (usually in the bathroom… :face_with_peeking_eye: )
  3. Unlocking certain files, folders, and apps on my Mac instead of typing in the password
1 Like

Microsoft just removed Authenticator from the AW. :cry:

The funny thing is that a few years back, I somehow started controlling myself with wanting everything that gets talked about here. No doubt, I have bought some things that I didn’t need (mainly apps). I almost got a StreamDeck when there was a monster sale on one about 5 months ago but luckily, they were already sold out.

As I mentioned in my original post, this is the first thing I’ve bought in a long time. Luckily, my laptop and iPad and iPhone are all fairly new (the older versions were definitely dragging when I replaced them) that I have no FOMO with those. The new Watch is in the same place.

Hell, I’m still running Big Sur because of some software that is not supported (but may work) on newer OSs. I’ve actually been tempted to get a new Mac Mini to work alongside my laptop but that is a cost I can’t justify.

I started listening to this podcast maybe in the 100-200 ep range and I remember the Google Group and Facebook Group. So I had a few years of taking a hit to my wallet but I’ve overcome!

1 Like

Well, partially. Watch notifications still work on Exchange accounts like mine, so if you have notifications set on your watch for MS Authenticator, you should still be able to interact with the app and approve logins through the watch.

1 Like

I’ve been using it to get on subways and buses in NYC. It’s pretty amazing to just tap my wrist on the reader and head on in.

1 Like

How do you look at tides!

1. Apple Pay
  2. Drafts dictation — so good and so quick and easy
  3. Fitness tracking and integration with Apple fitness+
  4. Apple News: I know everyone hates it but I like the watch complication and staying up to date on news throughout the day.
  5. Carrot weather
  6. Sleep tracking
  7. Using Overcast to listen to podcasts while exercising without my phone
1 Like

I happen to use Tide Graph Pro which is an OS app that has an Apple Watch “complication”

I have not researched what is the “best” since I have had this for several years and it works for me.

Prompted by this exchange I tried out Tide Alert which has similar functionality and which I might slightly prefer after 3 minutes of experience.

I would like and do not have an app in their category that handles tides in British Columbia.

1 Like

Thank you! I will try those on my iPhone which is where I want it for now!! I have to say I like to know where the Moon is at, where I am lat/long, Zulu time, Greenwich Mean Time if you like, tides and exact to the second time and I have no need now for ANY of it. :blush: