Zengobi Curio - Should I purchase it?

I try not to chime in on these MPU forum discussions but thought I could clarify something. This topic comes up fairly often in Zengobi’s forums (and in emails), so forgive me if you’ve heard all of this before.

To be perfectly clear, I would love to bring Curio to iOS. I love my iPad and iPhone so, believe me, I’d love to have my own product on these devices as well. There is no selfish refusal to carry this out. Simply put, it’s an expensive proposition requiring additional hire(s), substantial time before first release thus a long period before revenues start coming in, substantial delays in the macOS product, and working with a tricky and competitive pricing market for “notebook apps”. While I don’t currently have the resources to do this kind of task, I would truly, sincerely, absolutely love to do this one day and am hopeful that it will be possible. It’s a fair criticism of Curio’s offerings but I wanted you to know there is no callous disregard of customer requests.

If you’d like to discuss this further, I hope we can continue this in Zengobi’s forums, just so we don’t lose the productivity focus of these wonderful MPU forums. Thanks for listening.

16 Likes

One other bit of integration was mentioned in this topic:

Thanks to feedback from that customer, Curio 14 tidies up cross-reference links into DEVONthink.

2 Likes

So I jumped on the Curio bandwagon. So it seems that they have two models one buying directly from them and the other on a subscription plan from the Mac App store so very little cost to give it a try out

I’ve been tempted for about a year. Though, without really knowing the app well, I realized that what I thought I was going to buy it for was easily accomplished using Keynote or Trello. And I had to hustle to get things ready for the semester, so I bailed on the free trial.

I’m sure it is really powerful once you really get immersed in it. Would love to hear about it if you take the plunge.

I’m still in the early days of the trial and liking it so far.

My use case is to hold all types of files and information relating to a work project that I am currently working on. This could be XLS spreadsheets, PDFs, emails (printed to PDF), notes, images, and then some Curio items such as stacks and lists.

I find it helpful to have all this information in one place whilst I am working on it. It is quite visual too which is nice.

I expect that once the project is complete that I will export the project to DEVONThink for long term storage and reference in the future.

So it sort of sits between OmniFocus (actual tasks) and DEVONThink (reference material or archive).

I could just use a folder in Finder but I always end up with extra/superfluous files and stuff in different locations.

So it’s only active projects that make their way into Curio (I.e. there will be a corresponding project and task list in OmniFocus).

At this stage I think I will be buying (or subscribing).

3 Likes

I too am looking for something between omnifocus and devonthink to organize legal casefiles in preparation for litigation or submissions.

I find that tracking the file as a project in omnifocus is overkill, and I don’t like messing up my devonthink with “working” files.

You likely not an attorney or lawyer, so it is probably unfair to ask, but how do you think Curio would work for that sort of work? I was thinking that OF could work for defined tasks and projects arising from Curio projects (i.e. “Cases/Files”). And devonthink can just store the file chronology. Curio in between for thinking/brainstorming/defining projects that move the file towards completion.

Or maybe that is overkill and I should hack a DT3 database. I was trying DayLite as the intermediary, but that is just too clunky and I don’t need the other CRM features.

Fellow attorney here and while I’m in the same boat as many (have used Curio 12 and 13, but never extensively), I can certainly see the appeal. For lawyers, who are often stuck at a desk anyway, I don’t think the Mac-only nature of Curio is a serious issue. While I adore my iPad, I’m unlikely to do heavy-duty case management on it if only because of the size of the screen (even my iPad Pro 12.7" is tiny compared to a 32" 4K external monitor!).

In any event, @talundbl I suspect Curio would do a great job at this. Personally, I tend to use a combination of Scrivener, DT3, OF3, and Obsidian for case/file management making heavy use of DT3 item links. I’m also a constant dabbler in Tinderbox for the heavy duty “thinking” tasks.

2 Likes

Not a lawyer, but I have had to manage complex sets of case files, and I have found Curio to be excellent. I came to Curio from Circus Ponies Notebook (beloved of many lawyers down the years) and it’s a great replacement, with the proviso that it takes a while get used to the ways it works.

The Idea Space structure works well for case management - created a new project per case, and use Idea Spaces for the various collections of evidence, notes, documents required. Items (“figures”) in Curio-speak can be synced to Calendar and Reminders (there’s a user-created method to sync to OmniFocus too). There’s a very good search function which allows linking to Finder files and DEVONthink items among others, and there’s a free add-on called Curiota for quick capture of content and notes.

Weaknesses include no mobile access (although Curio works well on a laptop) and the unique UI, which doesn’t suit everyone. The developer is extremely responsive and there’s an active user forum.

All in all, I strongly recommend Curio for this purpose

6 Likes