10.16 design criticisms and marketing name isn’t Apple’s best (in my opinion)

I did not know that. I am just aware of the name from various times I’ve heard it mentioned over the years on TV and radio. I also know that as a non-Welsh speaker I would make an utter mess if trying to pronounce it.

Why are so eager to defend them???

Or direct your feelings at me personally.

And as someone I think posted elsewhere on this site, the more button-like icons would be more amenable to use on a touchscreen.

1 Like

But this is macOS not iOS.

Why so upset when someone proves claims of fact to be wrong, and addresses repeated unsupported complaints with contrary evidence?

1 Like

Consider the implications of the comment (made by someone else).

2 Likes

Opinion, and the right to express, and debate in constructive criticism doesn’t require every detail of that opinion to be articulated by supporting evidence.

1 Like

Dammit, I’m French and I know Big Sur. Dunno if that’s related to the name but to an European like me, “Sur” means “South” in Spanish. “Big south”, now that’s a sunny name if there ever was one.

2 Likes

And there’s some little things like Google and Wikipedia to help if you don’t!

1 Like

I agree.

But ever since my expression of an opinion, critical of Apple’s choices, I’ve had nothing but criticism directed at me personally. As somehow my views count less than other users of this form, and my opinions less valid.

I don’t believe that to be true or fair.

(Yup but I didn’t want to look just before posting, as this was about my remote feelings about the name as a cheese-eater.)

1 Like

“Valid” means based on truth or reason, where the premises of an opinion justify the conclusion. Therefore all opinions are equally opinions, but not all opinions are equally valid or supported or true.

Welsh speakers struggle with it. Locally they just say Llanfair P

That’s not how this works.

You hate the name and hammer that it’s dumb marketing.
I am among the ones to answer, no, we like it and don’t think it’s dumb, here is why we like it and why it works for us.
Then you say you’re not entitled to an opinion.

You absolutely are. We are just firmly disagreeing with it and, as far as I’m concerned, I also disagree with the confrontational way it’s expressed (which, and you should not be surprised by that, always brings confrontation in return).

3 Likes

No, you said that. If not you personally, then others have.

I look forward to macOS Zzyzx. (Unless it opens Apple to ridicule, of course.)

2 Likes

I think you should take a look at that answer again tomorrow morning and realise how it comes across.

It’s been said to you repeatedly why this way of approaching the subject – by letting your opinion run hot – was probably not the best way to get a constructive exchange. But by all means – and please believe that I say this without any malice – do as you please.

2 Likes

I was expecting maybe 50:50 for:against Apple’s choices. Maybe 60:40 or as much as 80:20 either way on any one issue.

Instead this feels like X:1.

Apple can do no wrong apparently.

You made reasonable, sensible and thoughtful points. For me they raised an interesting discussion connected to my own profession really. It was useful. As it happens I don’t really agree with what you said but I find that secondary to the interest it had for me. I hadn’t thought, for example, of the ‘BS’ potentia in the namel. I don’t think it is a problem for Apple but I hadn’t thought of it. My own initials are “TP” I was known by many in the UK as TP… my wife still laughs.
It is extremely interesting and complicated as to how compounded words and names are understood psychologically. Why for example is the plural of “Dog house” for nearly every fluent speaker, automatically done as ‘Dog houses’ rather than say “Dogs Houses”. There are numerous cases. I don’t hear the ‘big’ in ‘Big Sur’ as an adjective I don’t think.

2 Likes

Yeah, that must be it. No one criticizes Apple about anything on this forum, you’re the only maverick who’s ever done it, and it doesn’t mean that your thread’s original title “10.16 is just ugly and has terrible marketing name” or subsequent unsupported opinions-as-facts are in any way responsible for people disagreeing with you. You’re right, everyone else is Apple-cultist sheeple. Yup, that must be it.

2 Likes