10.16 design criticisms and marketing name isn’t Apple’s best (in my opinion)

I would too! Just out of interest did you know that place name is contrived to a great extent to make it hard to pronounce. It was done during the 19Century. I can pronounce it but it is a challenge even to some Welsh speakers. My own village was a better candidate for the future media or cyber giant that might emerge in Wales? “Llanddewi Felfrey”, don’t even try it :smiley:

Sure they do, anyone else remember the Nova car? A complete dud in Spanish speaking countries because of the no go translation.

1 Like

Where do I even begin!?

What does “shape of a corner radius” as Alan Dye put it have to do with OS function? This is following a software trend from Microsoft last year and it’s completely as unnecessary as corners on your phone screen.

An amusing - but incorrect - urban legend.

and

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2017/04/07/fact-check-the-nova-did-not-sell-poorly-in-latin-america-due-to-its-name

1 Like

I’m sorry, but the ‘open to ridicule’ canard has been addressed in this thread many times, and your repeating it endlessly doesn’t strengthen the claim. Apple momentarily got flack for the names iPod, iMac, iPad and others - so what. Just because people like you never heard of Big Sur or mispronounced Mavericks or are ignorant of California geography doesn’t mean anything - it’s a BS argument, and I don’t mean ‘Big Sur.’ (See: joking about the name! How oh how will Apple bear it?!) This backseat-marketing criticism is silly at best.

2 Likes

I used to wonder why no one named a car the Siva… and then if it did whether it would sell poorly in India. :upside_down_face:

I did not know that. I am just aware of the name from various times I’ve heard it mentioned over the years on TV and radio. I also know that as a non-Welsh speaker I would make an utter mess if trying to pronounce it.

Why are so eager to defend them???

Or direct your feelings at me personally.

And as someone I think posted elsewhere on this site, the more button-like icons would be more amenable to use on a touchscreen.

1 Like

But this is macOS not iOS.

Why so upset when someone proves claims of fact to be wrong, and addresses repeated unsupported complaints with contrary evidence?

1 Like

Consider the implications of the comment (made by someone else).

2 Likes

Opinion, and the right to express, and debate in constructive criticism doesn’t require every detail of that opinion to be articulated by supporting evidence.

1 Like

Dammit, I’m French and I know Big Sur. Dunno if that’s related to the name but to an European like me, “Sur” means “South” in Spanish. “Big south”, now that’s a sunny name if there ever was one.

2 Likes

And there’s some little things like Google and Wikipedia to help if you don’t!

1 Like

I agree.

But ever since my expression of an opinion, critical of Apple’s choices, I’ve had nothing but criticism directed at me personally. As somehow my views count less than other users of this form, and my opinions less valid.

I don’t believe that to be true or fair.

(Yup but I didn’t want to look just before posting, as this was about my remote feelings about the name as a cheese-eater.)

1 Like

“Valid” means based on truth or reason, where the premises of an opinion justify the conclusion. Therefore all opinions are equally opinions, but not all opinions are equally valid or supported or true.

Welsh speakers struggle with it. Locally they just say Llanfair P

That’s not how this works.

You hate the name and hammer that it’s dumb marketing.
I am among the ones to answer, no, we like it and don’t think it’s dumb, here is why we like it and why it works for us.
Then you say you’re not entitled to an opinion.

You absolutely are. We are just firmly disagreeing with it and, as far as I’m concerned, I also disagree with the confrontational way it’s expressed (which, and you should not be surprised by that, always brings confrontation in return).

3 Likes