10.16 design criticisms and marketing name isn’t Apple’s best (in my opinion)

Yep, like trying to read tea leaves. As a product design engineer for my whole career we named our projects whatever was convenient. I personally would never waste time on this, but some people thought it was critical! It always was the marketing department that gave the product its final name, using some mysterious process. Engineering had no input on this. So they called this 11.0 to make a distinctive line in the sand but I expect all Apple engineers know it’s actually 10.16 or maybe even 10.15.7. :grinning: Then we have Microsoft who have decided (at least for now) that Windows 10 will be forever.

1 Like

Saying it’s arbitrary makes it sound as if there’s no malice involved.

I don’t believe that’s true.

Right at the start when I said that I believe other names could have been used my comments were compared to those critical of the “Think Different” campaign, or those critical of the iPad name. Twice that I was having “a rant”, that I’m being ridiculous and facile.

My criticism was associated with naysayers, and Apple-haters. My criticism of Apple in 2020 has nothing to do with Think Different (1997-2002) or the iPad launch in 2010. There was no attempt to make any such comparison to history, no lesson I was attempting to teach. I’m not your enemy.

I love Apple products. Both the ones I have, and the ones I lust for but can’t afford.

I understand the logic. Apple is the iPhone company.

We can all agree that Mac UI content doesn’t work to an iPad, which is why Apple used the circle indicator in lieu of a stylus when they enabled mouse and trackpad support.

Personally, I don’t think the reverse works either: that putting the iOS UI on a Mac makes for legible, clean, understandable experience. I don’t like rounded corners anymore than I like catalyst date pickers, or horizontal scrolling. All fine on iOS and on scale of disjoined to unworkable on a Mac, depending on your point of view.

I also understand that Apple’s choices meet your approval, not mine. I’ve not listened to all of ATP yet but I suspect they are not also to the liking of John or Marco.

I’d hoped for more open, two-way discussion. I won’t persuade you to hear my concerns or understand my dislike for the name, any more than you will persuade me to like it. That’s fine. But can we at least converse without the personal insults and abuse. If I wanted that I’d be on Twitter.

Sure it is. You ‘presumed’ wrongly that the name for macOS was 10.16 - not only ignoring voluminous news reports to the contrary but also the precedent of MacOS Tiger covering PowerPC/Intel processors.

And you were again wrong when you couldn’t comprehend “how products can have adjectives in the name” which ignored that Apple previously named an OS version High Sierra. Moreover, you refused to backtrack even when it was pointed out that Big Sur was the full name of a place (something of which you were apparently ignorant), instead railing against Apple’s confusing (to you) use of California names - something they’ve done since 2013.

And that doesn’t even touch the many repeated (and re-repeated) speculations masquerading as fact, the hyperbole, or the complacent dismissal of dissenting posts, which often provided reasoning and support (whereas you offered none). And when you saw people disagreed with you you doubled down angrily, repeating your claims (without proof). And then you declared that your wrong and unsupported opinions were “valid” and because no one agreed with you it wasn’t because you were wrong but because among the participants here “Apple can do no wrong apparently” (an outlandish - and wrong, and insulting - claim). And you speculated that your (wrong) opinion deserved ‘balanced’ support - and that if people didn’t agree with your minority opinion it was merely proof that there was no balance… an assertion not even made by The Flat Earth Society.

Bowline, I’m trying to be meet you half way here but you don’t want to concede any ground.

So allow me to correct you point by point.

There were numerous sites referring to 10.16. Plus, I was also making the point as 10.16 would naturally follow 10.15 and that 11 will be part of with ARM transition. You corrected on that I’ve never argued it. This was also personal partly bias as I would prefer 11 didn’t go with what I consider to be a poor choice of name.

However I made no reference to MacOS Tiger, but yet again you’re citing previous arguments made in defence of macOS. Arguments you don’t need to make with me but others from 15 years ago, and I’ve not been a Mac user for that long. Something you will also no doubt hold against me personally.

I never said I couldn’t comprehend how products can use adjectives. I referred to using a noun which can be incorrectly assumed to be adjective + noun. The use of Big Sur assumes that everyone knows that is a “Big Sur” noun, not an adjective followed by a noun. Regardless, anyone applying in correct grammar and understanding of High Sierra doesn’t have the same connotations as Big Sur. I made it think I made my view clear that car company’s work hard to avoid a name with incorrect connotations and regardless of the impact of any ridicule on the success of the OS I find it curious that Apple choose to disregard them. They almost certainly know of them.

I never doubted for a second that Big Sur was a place. As you said, it follows the last 7 years of naming. I said, “any of the names on that map would be better”. Let me repeat my personal opinion, any of the names on that map would be better: Monterey, Seaside, Soledad, Greenfield. All benign, pronounceable by large portion on the world, very little of whom would know or care the origin of the naming choice. None of whom would attribute any other meaning to it.

Just to underline my point: Mac, iPhone, iTunes. All great names. Unique. Easily identifiable. No one needs to know the Mac refers to Mackintosh or the history of the other names anymore than they need to know why a Coke is called a Coke.

Oh you mean my expression of a personal opinion?

I like dark chocolate. I don’t like white wine. Do I need to validate those opinions with witty images or links to articles on either product? No of course not. My personal opinion doesn’t require proof. This isn’t the a court room.

I am allowed to express an opinion. I’ve no problem if that’s only one shared by ATP hosts, or others on twitter and not here. That is how this works. It’s called free speech. I’ve never directed any name calling or insulted anyone in response, despite the insults I cited above. In your last post the word “you” was used 17 times, each time an accusation. You’ve made this personal from the moment you referred to my post as “rant”.

I like the MPU podcast. I like this community. I love Apple. I’m sure you do too. And if I disagree with Apple’s choices, if my personal opinion doesn’t match Alan Dyes or anyone else in Apple, then as a user I’m going to speak about it. We all should.

Finally, if you’re objective is to alienate those who disagree you, like those who spurred you during those days when Apple was the upstart computing company, then those days are over and you’ve picked the wrong fight.

At the beginning of this thread I said I loved a good rant.

This makes no sense (I quoted you, your posts showed ignorance of High Sierra as a prior example, so now you make a claim about not having “the same connotations” - again proffered with zero support beyond your say-so.

Also, do me a favor and don’t DM me again. Thanks! :+1:

Okaaay this got out of hand. Let’s all take a breather. We expect people to debate but name calling and being argumentative out of anger is not what we want in this community.

1 Like