10.16 design criticisms and marketing name isn’t Apple’s best (in my opinion)

So I shouldn’t have an opinion?

Clearly we disagree. So let’s leave it there.

Can’t wait for the first Bug Sur reports.

2 Likes

@Derek, with all due respect, you may be tilting at windmills here. I mean, if the only beef you have is with the name…

2 Likes

Well, maybe not Mojave but certainly Mavericks. I was born and raised in Southern California, surfed in Malibu, and I’ve never heard of Mavericks.

Indeed. Fortunately, that mockery lasted about 48 hours after the announcement, and has not been heard from since.

We wandered down the rabbit hole of the name that’s true.

Beyond that there’s predominance of rounded rectangles with disproportionately large radii, white flat windows, translucency, windows that aren’t windows (such as in the control centre) and so on. This is an unnecessary, bringing over iOS elements to macOS.

I fail to see any utility in making every UI element a rounded rectangle - even the menus from the menubar have this cruft.

I’m all for Catalyst as a technology to enable a common code base but that doesn’t have to mean common UI design.

I’m pleased to see that some elements like translucency can be disabled but others we may have to just tolerate hoping that they are diluted in time.

I grew up in Arizona; I’ve spent a lot of time in the Mojave Desert (Joshua Tree is still one of my favorite places). If you’d asked me three years ago I would have said the Mojave was fairly well known. After 10.14 was announced it quickly became clear that not many people outside the region had ever heard of the Mojave Desert.

1 Like

Yes, I read that reference (about the rounded rectangles) in your original post, but it’s just fluff. Shouldn’t we focus on the substance instead?

I think there’s a benefit to a common visual language among Apple’s OSes.

Beyond the visual benefits, there’s speculation that there’s a second shoe to drop regarding those “disproportionately large radii” and greater padding around certain UI elements.

2 Likes

They’re just words. You could call it Btfsplk for all it matters.

(Anybody get the reference?)

So, you didn’t like Snow Leopard, and don’t like the Rocky Mountains either?

1 Like

I never understood that. I thought the Mojave desert was well known. It does help if they can pronounce it, and I think that was more of an issue for Mojave than location.

Regardless, a single word regardless of location or etymology is can be a product name. It doesn’t have to be somewhere people know or recognise.

Let’s all hope it’s just speculation.

“Big Sewer” might be fun…

1 Like

What a turnaround. Impressive.

A turnaround?

The broader point was that we all expect better of Apple and that whilst ARM is exciting, poor marketing and software cruft is unnecessary and distracting.

But that claim is not a point, it’s an opinion… a speculation. You know, the kind of speculation you don’t think highly of.

I had to Google it. You really pulled out that reference, like something out of Molly McGee’s closet. :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope you got my point, though…

1 Like

Yep - I’ve lived in CA 14 years and haven’t heard of it. Big Sur on the other hand was one of the highlights of my first trip to the state and a landscape that’s practically unparalleled anywhere else I’ve been…Chapman’s Peak in Cape Town warrants comparison but the scale is much smaller.