10.16 design criticisms and marketing name isn’t Apple’s best (in my opinion)

What a turnaround. Impressive.

A turnaround?

The broader point was that we all expect better of Apple and that whilst ARM is exciting, poor marketing and software cruft is unnecessary and distracting.

But that claim is not a point, it’s an opinion… a speculation. You know, the kind of speculation you don’t think highly of.

I had to Google it. You really pulled out that reference, like something out of Molly McGee’s closet. :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope you got my point, though…

1 Like

Yep - I’ve lived in CA 14 years and haven’t heard of it. Big Sur on the other hand was one of the highlights of my first trip to the state and a landscape that’s practically unparalleled anywhere else I’ve been…Chapman’s Peak in Cape Town warrants comparison but the scale is much smaller.

Maybe that’s the tie-in - it sounds like Parallels on ARM won’t run Intel OSs - so Big Sur is unparalleled.

1 Like

Well, I like this design a lot. When looking at the interface guidelines comparisons the old one instantly felt dated and grey. This freshness is probably going to be my main reason for upgrading quickly to 11 while I still haven’t made the jump to Catalina.

It’s pretty and my opinion is fact, please. :grin:

5 Likes

Will it be possible to go straight from Mojave?

I guess you always can? Anyway if needed I’ll just stay 30 seconds under Catalina.

That’s funny to me, cause my reaction is the opposite.

I’m wondering if I buy a new iMac next year can I wipe it and install a stable Mojave release without issues.

In the control centre / today view It’s taking content out of windows and putting in flat window-less floating pallets, for no other reason other than to look more like your phone. If Apple wants to sell more Macs then making the UI look like the phone isn’t the answer.

Moreover windows which have a natural break between content and structure are now combined into a continuous white (or grey). This looks different but isn’t an enhancement or improvement.

Thirdly, there’s the additional and unnecessary flair which looks cool in Apple PR but with questionable impact on performance and usability. The clearest example is in a customisable background to new tabs in Safari: I don’t see what’s to be gained by Safari rendering an image under favourites and search box. It looks pretty “on stage” but that’s all.

Apple’s at the stage of tinkering with the macOS UI which given the quantity of underlying issues with Catalina and need for supporting the ARM architecture I’d rather than see changes made at that level than needless cosmetic tinkering.

My hope is most of the “flair” can be disabled in Accessibility just like you can already reduce motion and transparency, but I don’t expect there won’t be options to retain windowed content in windows.

Sixty posts and zero content, apart from this one. :wink: That must be a record.

3 Likes

Oh come on, this is not 1990 where a current computer struggles repainting windows!

You hate it with a passion. I believe your point has been taken. May I suggest actually waiting to install the thing and see how it works in situation before burning it to the ground?

Or have you installed the developer betas to have such a firm and definitive hate of it? Do you know for a fact if it’s less stable than the previous release? Do you have a developer kit to say if it works well, or not, under the ARM architecture?

3 Likes

I would be interested to read your research supporting these statements.

I’m sure you’ll have the opportunity to have a blank background, and a picture won’t be forced on you. Notably, Brave does not give users that option. To date, I have suffered very little from the 5 seconds per day that their picture is in my visual field.

Apple isn’t a one-person shop; working on the UI and the OS is not a zero-sum game. They can conceivably round rectangles and fix the shortcomings of TimeMachine at the same time.

2 Likes

Such strident hyperbole in response to the rationalizing of some UI elements between OSes doesn’t explain, and again doesn’t persuade. It’s rather curious.

Indeed, in betas Apple typically will make changes small and large in response to developers, having done so many times with regard to window transparency, colors, three-dimensionality and other elements over the years. Aside from that Apple always ‘tinkers’ with the UI, as is so dismissively put. There’s nothing wrong with a unification of design language between OSes which will become somewhat interoperable (since iOS apps will somehow be able to run on ARM Macs); elements get tweaked over time, and opinions based on screenshots often change when actually in use.

1 Like

I don’t “hate” it. That’s too strong a word.

But I find the eagerness to defend all of Apple’s designs and naming decisions to be surprising. Surely the very purpose of this community is to openly and constructively discuss Apple and their products. Even if my opinion is a minority one which it may be, given that we are a self selecting group of those who like Apple products more than the average consumer, it’s just that it’s one opinion. I was never expecting universal agreement with me but I also wasn’t expected to have to provide evidence to justify my opinion. This isn’t a court room. Yet I’m being trialled by MPU jury for not agreeing with Apple’s design choices.

Regular users love this stuff. We use Trello at work and people make sure every board has a fun background image. We got our massive performance increase; they can have something to smile at when they sit down to use the computer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, “10.16 is just ugly and has terrible marketing name” is a very opinionated title. Don’t be surprised to have equally opinionated opposite answers. If you wanted to have a constructive discussion about the design choices, you could have started with a less frontal post, like this one. :slight_smile: (Equally works with “disliking”. :slight_smile: )

1 Like

That’s a fair point. I’ve edited the controversial title but I stand by both that this is only my opinion and I’m surprised that others don’t share the same criticisms.

2 Likes