120: Caveday with Jake Kahana

A very interesting interview, thank you!

As I was listening to Jake describe how “the Cave” works, it occurred to me that it seemed to be suited best for those who are extroverted as opposed to introverted. I’m an introvert, and it didn’t appeal to me at all.

For instance, Jake says something to the effect that the breaks involve human interaction because (loose quote) “social contacts energize us.” That is definitely true for extroverts, but typically not the case for introverts. For us classic introverts, social interactions drain energy, not increase energy. Just let me go off by myself for a few minutes … Also, the whole idea of doing my work as a part of a group is not something that appeals to me. I don’t like to “share my stuff” in a public setting. I’d be much more comfortable doing this type of thing as a single with a coach, not a group.

I’m not making these observations to be critical, just to share my personal flow of thought regarding this. I’m sure it’s a great fit for many people, but it wouldn’t be for me or other introverts I know. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m about introverted as you can get (weird for a podcaster to say that, I know - for some reason, talking into a microphone is different for me) but I had the same reaction initially. I have done these types of sessions though and I do find them very effective. I would encourage anyone to at least try it once. There are other services like FocusMate that do this sort of thing on a one-off basis. I’ve also done these types of sessions with members in my mastermind group.

@mikeschmitz, From my understanding of introversion I’m not at all surprised that as an introvert you would enjoy podcasting. It’s a planned, somewhat controlled, and edited deep conversation about intellectual topics you care about. That’s the opposite of the unplanned, uncontrolled, social party superficial chit chat/interactions that most introverts dread and avoid, and that energize extroverts.

And of course introverts can act in extroverted ways (usually for short periods) when properly motivated, but it takes a heavy toll in energy expenditure. I used to do a lot of group presentations/dinners in my business as an estate planning attorney, but was typically exhausted afterward. I now do presentations for a Mac/iOS club in my community, with the same result. I enjoy speaking and teaching, but they wear me out and I have to withdraw to someplace quiet by myself afterward to reenergize.

Introverts can therefore participate in more extroverted behaviors, but it’s not a natural fit and is typically energy draining, not energizing.