122: Linking Your Thinking with Nick Milo

6 Likes

So how does LYT compare/differ from the Building A Second Brain approach? Do you think one is better than the other for any particular types of people (i.e. someone that earns their living from writing vs someone in an IT field)?

I’ve watched a lot of Milo’s LYT videos and a number of Forte’s BASB. I’m certainly no expert, however, it strikes me that BYSB has more focus on overall structure / organization using the PARA method. LYT seems to focus on capturing your thoughts and connecting them with each other.

Again, I could be completely wrong. Just my thoughts……

1 Like

This seems accurate to me. I didn’t take the BASB course, but did take Milodragovich’s LYT course when the intermediate level was $800. The course now starts at $1022.

I guess the one thing I gained from the course was being incentivized to actually work with my notes during the course, rather than the superficial capture and linking that most everyone does.

Milodragovich’s course draws heavily on the work of others, including Andy Matuschak’s concept of evergreen notes, Niklas Luhmann’s Zettelkasten, and of course, Sönke Ahrens’ How to Take Smart Notes. Gaining insight into the information in one’s notes, and the process of distilling the notes into evergreen notes is cast by Milodragovich as “emergence.” In my opinion, this is a bit of newspeak, as emergence has a definition, and consolidating notes is not it. Similarly, “note making” is taking and distilling notes, and “maps of concepts” are tables of contents with added information.

While there is value in collecting and packaging information (e.g. encyclopedia), and facilitating course attendees sharing their work so others can learn from them, whether this is worth $1022 is for the reader to decide.

3 Likes