15-17" monitor with best eye comfort?

Hello!

What do you guys think is the best office monitor between 15-17" that is best for eye comfort? With no flickering and low eyestrain etc? (Bigger than 15-17" makes my eyes tired very easy). I have multiple sclerosis and astigmatism.

I love to use MacOS, so I am thinking if I cant get the MBA 15" M3 display to be any better for my eyes I will buy a external monitor.

What about this one?

or maybe this

Thank you all guys for recommendations, this means alot to me.

Welcome.

Sadly, I think you are unlikely to improve things by buying a monitor based on other people’s recommendations.

Technically, The MBA screen is pretty good (and the MBP screen is excellent) so the problems you are having may be more to do with how your unique eyes and brain are interacting with it than with the quality of the monitor itself. You might find an alternative monitor that works better for you, but there’s a high chance that you won’t. You’d have to try any alternative out, and for more than a few minutes in a store.

There are a lot of factors involved in “eye strain”: viewing distance, reflections on the screen and ambient lighting are important and obviously things like how well corrected your astigmatism is (how recent your lens prescription is). A crucial factor is screen brightness - I see a LOT of screens that are set to be too bright and contrasty and it might be worth experimenting methodically with system settings (display brightness, truetone etc), trying dark mode and even calibrating the screen like photographers do. I’d try everything else first before spending money on a new monitor.

I think you’d get better advice from your optician/doctor than anything we might recommend here.

I hope you find good answers.

2 Likes

One think to note is that the portable monitors often use Displaylink to work and therefore will need additional drivers on the Mac and may be restricted in their refresh rate more than an in built monitor.

That said, I have a cheaper Zenscreen (ZenScreen MB16ACE) and it comes in handy as a second monitor. I have also used it as a sole monitor for a Windows device once booted, as Windows natively supports Displaylink (or at least auto fetches the driver) and it’s reasonable. However, the inbuilt Mac screen is better in every way, so hopefully that’ll work for you.

2 Likes

Could you elaborate what the issue is with the MBA screen?

Have you tried a 4K iMac, or a 4.5k iMac?