1Password 8 will be electron, subscription only, and no longer support local vaults

Adding a clarifying note - this thread sums it up pretty well:

Particularly the line:

There’s a small print item at the bottom of the first Welcome page that lets you buy a licence and then offers you the price.

They hid the standalone option pretty well. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For people who created iCloud or Dropbox vaults on an old, standalone license, this clarifies… absolutely nothing. :thinking: Except perhaps the poignancy of him taking the time to pad that response with a ridiculous novel about “1password license history” but not a sentence to answer the aforementioned, very real question.

If you are running the Electron app have you checked if you can still print out all login, etc. information ?

I use the desktop app far less than either the IOS app or the Safari extension, so I don’t anticipate any major problems - as long as I have a way of making a copy of my data.

You may not have the time nor inclination to do so, but I for one would love to benefit from what you find in your research. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

They are trying to “pull an Evernote” as Apple is beefing up their password management solutions on macOS --and iOS. Multiplatform is their way to compete.

I also remember the “there will always be a paid app for users that do not want a subscription model”. Sigh, guess VC is mandating their business model. I wish all the luck to Agile Bits but I’ll be using 1Password for as long it is available and then will simply migrate to keychain.

I may start this process now, one website at a time. Over 12 months I should have the majority covered. Unless, someone here has a better way to export and then import into keychain with a CSV file.

Passwords are far easier to migrate than notes or other stuff. You can always generate new passwords (if you remember the email address you used for the service, that is). I’d say I’m actively using 30 passwords for different services and websites, the others are mostly dead accounts.

This is exactly the reason why I have automatic updates disabled on iOS.

1 Like

Related:

1 Like

Unfortunately, I have hundreds of unique randomized passwords, each website that I log into has a different one. That makes for great security but sure makes it difficult for migration. :grin:

But most of these sites will have a password recovery option via email. It’s just a matter of setting up a new password in the new system you choose.

1 Like

I know and that may be what I do. In fact, as I think about it that may make the most sense. Thanks.

It will be interesting to see if Apple stops buying 1Password for all their employees.

1 Like

Different use cases, they are probably sharing passwords among employee groups, which is impossible to do with Keychain.

In fact, 1Password.com makes a lot of sense for enterprise password managements.

I’m seem to recall Apple also provides 1PW for personal use. Can’t say for sure but it’s the kind of thing a lot of companies will do for their employees.

I already was afraid that this day might come and I bought Enpass (before it also took the subscription route) some time ago and am grandfathered into their lifetime pro plan.

This is my tweet to the founder of 1password:

I do not mind paying for subscription especially for something as important to me as my password manager.

What I do have a problem with is storing all MY passwords in 1Password servers.

Its not that I do not trust them. I do. thats why i use them. I just prefer to store them in iCloud or locally. Why are they taking this crucial choice away from users?

and for a business which started on Apple platforms and found huge success through their apps on Apple devices, its sad to see them move to electron. They have almost 500 people working for them. I suppose it still is easier and cheaper to build electron apps compared to native apps on each platform.

3 Likes

This seems like a smart move for the company.
Although I didn’t try it, it looks like Monterey will have very strong password security built in for free, so for most users wanting to only store passwords, 1P has been made a bit redundant.

There are plenty of other use cases for 1P though, so a cross platform and enterprise-focused offering seems the way forward to me.

Personally, I plan to migrate out once I get Monterey as the 1P business model does not really include me.

Always the operative word :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This would be a good way to lock people in.
Not use what happens to passwords if the subscription lapses.

I’m not worried about websites, etc. that have recovery options, I’m worried about encryption keys for my drives, Backblaze backup, etc.

2 Likes