1Password 8 will be electron, subscription only, and no longer support local vaults

Any idea when v8 hits the shelves?

I think they mentioned “next year” (after missing their self-imposed September deadline).

I hope they take their time; the Early Access Preview is still full of bugs…

1 Like

Windows got it first? Is that weird given that it started out as a native Mac App?

Could be a case of the Windows version needing a refresh much more desperately than the Mac version. Either that, or Mac users are much more demanding and stuff that flies on Windows won’t fly with many Mac users :grinning:

4 Likes

Hello. I would state otherwise. An app that needed about 70 MB RAM as native app and is now using more than 3x of that is bad.
Why not just say it doesn’t matter. Let’s just say a lot of your Apps use Electron. Like Whatsapp (or Signal) 600 MB, or Signal around 400. You’re a gamer, so you may use Discord, 400-500MB. You may code in VS Code, so 300 MB again. You have your browser open, that takes a lot.
This adds up to a crazy amount of RAM used for basic computer apps. They don’t do anything special. The Miranda ICQ app was using 5-10MB, TS uses about 100-120MB, and so on. It’s not just some MB more. It’s 3-10x more. With every single app that uses Electron.
10x is just ridiculous.
But it’s not just numbers.
RAM usage means battery usage. Discord makes my battery melt. As does Signal. It builds pressure on the whole system, not just a given number of RAM.
More RAM used means more heat is generated. More memory has to be swapped on the SSD. This means your SSD is used much more and that leads you to earlier SSD failure. It is a chain reaction.

2 Likes

Thank you kind sir! Just needed to know how much time I have to find an alternative solution if vaults really are going away.

I may be missing something, but 1Password 7 (native Mac app) uses 140MB on my Intel Mac. 1Password 8 (Electron) uses only 65 MB on my Windons machine. Those numbers are promising and may indicate that RAM usage may decrease with the new Electron version. If it requires more RAM on Mac than on Windows, it may be because of how macOS works and not the other way around.

1 Like

Yes, the RAM increase isn’t that bad. It’s been discussed a lot in this thread. And it’s good to see that GPU RAM being taken up by 1PW on the M1s. In general, 1PW 8 looks to be spending its memory on performance enhancements and additional UI, compared to 7. That’s also much better than what a naive electron app like Discord is doing, which is spending the extra memory as tech debt so they can more quickly ship features I don’t care about. :wink:

The biggest increase in RAM (for me) is the new browser extension, which provides more than enough marginal utility to justify the cost.

Small note on SSD writes: they don’t wear out through writes like they used to. Any SSD bought within the last several years has a life of several hundred times its size, some over a petabyte of writes. Wearing through that capacity would take so long that other parts of the system are almost guaranteed to fail first. It’s like worrying about your screen going bad from displaying too many colors.

Heat from SSD writes are negligible compared to what’s generated by inefficient rendering of UI and background processes. So, from an ecological angle, I’m happy with the tradeoffs 1Password is making to make 8 a performant application.

2 Likes

I thought it was about erase cycles, and that a write required an erase first. Are you saying that’s not the case? Or are you just saying that they’re good for so many erase cycles that, practically, it’s stopped mattering?

1 Like

Are you counting in all background processes too? Helper, mini helper and so on? I get nowhere near your value and every screenshot I’ve seen in other forums was around 300. Just wondering…

1 Like

I’m getting approximately the same memory usage on my new M1 MB Air, 143MB or so. In the past I would often have 1PW devolve into runaway status and use over 1GB of RAM, which would eventually freeze everything and require a reboot. I think they eventually fixed that as I don’t remember the last time it happened. Electron + M1 should theoretically fix things…

Yes, I should’ve said cycles rather than writes.

I’m self-hosting bitwarden as a 1pwd replacement since some weeks now and I’m happy with it.
But, let me tell you how much memory the macOS app + helpers and the Safari Extension need (running on MBA M1):

These are also electron apps. This is not okay!

There are a couple of projects underway that if successful would replace Chromium in electron type apps with something lighter. And Microsoft has announced they will use Edge WebView2 as the rendering engine in a future version of Teams. So it is likely electron may be replaced with something that uses less memory at some point.

But I expect hybrid apps will continue to be widely used going forward.

4 Likes

What is your take on Secrets? I am considering a jump from 1Password to Secrets.

Just a heads up to anyone moving from 1 Password. When you export to csv or txt, 1 Password does not export all your data. I have come across this today with data missing that was imported from an opvault and 1pif file to a keepass format. I have since exported to txt and used settings “All fields” and “include column labels”. I’ve opened the resulting file in BBEdit and done a search on data from a secure note and BBEdit cannot find it. I tried this for a number of different entries. I have a suspicion that secure notes are an export problem in those formats.

EDIT

Having checked 1 Passwords website, they have confirmed that csv and txt do not export all data. The 1pif file is a json file and that does contain all the data.

2 Likes

What process did you follow? One of these listed below or something different?

1 Like

I followed @OogieM method. I did this some 3 weeks ago and only found out today that some data was missing. Secure notes has been the culprit for me.

I created an opvault imported into KeepassXC and having been using with strongbox. I’ve repeated the process and KeepassXC has an issue with Secure Notes from 1 Password. When I imported a 1pif into Strongbox, I got the secure notes, but the data was jumbled in the custom fields. I should add that some of my secure notes may have 10 entries which may be throwing the process off.

I don’t recall using secure notes when I had my passwords in 1PW (which these days should really be called 2PW :slightly_smiling_face:).

But secure notes sound like attachments to me rather than fields in a database record which may be why they are not exported to a CSV file?

No release date given on their forums, I wouldn’t have thought before March.

1 Like