1Password 8 will be electron, subscription only, and no longer support local vaults

I print all my 1PW data to PDF as a backup. This makes a copy of everything with the exception of attached documents.

This should, at least, make sure you have all your information should you need to recreate a lost note.

It definitely adds to the impression that the Mac app is an afterthought rather than a primary dev platform.

In case you are interested.

1 Like

Does this means that it doesn’t work without internet?

Like Notion.

There’s a desktop app that operates from a local cache.

Electron just provides some common UI. There’s native code for each platform, and each platform also generates bugs that need to be fixed in the UI and in the Rust core.

Dave implies here that the Mac version actually received more attention during initial development (before early access), rather than less.

Interesting, I’m glad to see that the iOS version is using SwiftUI. So even though they decided to use Electron on the Mac, in the future they could decide to use their SwiftUI code on the Mac, once that technology becomes more mature.

On the contrary, it would add to the idea that they’re spending more time perfecting the Mac version, no?

Based on a reading of their forums and user reactions, I wouldn’t think so. Clearly Windows (and corporate markets) is their big market, so it was more of a priority. That’s not inherently bad, but it definitely makes some people cranky.

Makes sense. (I don’t keep up with 1PW)

Windows has been important to 1Password for 12 years now.

My read of their forums and public remarks is different from @webwalrus’. People who feel abandoned by the new architecture usually aren’t the ones trying 1PW8 for macOS, or they are also dismayed about subscriptions. AgileBits has repeatedly emphasized their Mac commitment and explained how sophisticated the macOS client is (that it’s nat a web app with a dock icon.)

Now, they definitely are abandoning the pay-once-and-run-locally customers. But it’s only a coincidence that many of the same people want to know they’re running an app entirely built in Swift and Obj-C.

Using 1Password is a personal decision, of course. No one has to like it. But I don’t think the theory that they’re intentionally jettisoning quality on the Mac desktop to do something new on Windows fits the communications out there, or the product history.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say they’re jettisoning quality on Mac, but the release of v8 seems to indicate Windows is the higher priority, doesn’t it?

1 Like

There already is so much that has been said in this thread about 1PW8.

Regarding the question if v8 on Windows is a priority:

I have been using 1PW both on Windows and on the Mac for years. I have been using the Mac version for more than 10 years.

I did not like Windows version of 1PW before v8. It felt half-baked and a bit clumsy in comparison the the Mac version. v8 has changed that. I am quite impressed, both with the Windows and the Mac (beta) versions. I have been using v8 for several months now and I am very happy with it. I even prefer v8 to v7 on the Mac.

I am not so sure if AgileBits’ release of v8 on Windows really indicates that they do not put much priority on the Mac. Maybe, the opposite is true: v7 on Windows was - like I said - not a very good experience. v8 Is a huge improvement on that platform. On the other hand, v7 on the Mac already was very good and there is no need to rush v8 out of the door. Then again: I have been on the v8 Beta for months now (because I just liked v8 on Windows and wanted the same on my Macs) and I have no issues. I am very happy. More about that in this endless topic… :wink:

1 Like

What about the phone? It is stored locally for use?

Yes. Internet is only needed for syncing with their server. The issue people have is that 1PWs servers are the source of truth, and that’s not optional as it was in v7 - it’s required

1 Like

oh!. thank you for the clarification.

1 Like

Possibly not on topic but certainly 1P related.

For some reason, when I select:

• Unlock 1Password in image below
  • the icon in the task bar
  • the icon in the status bar in Safari
    … nothing happens. I have to go to the Applications and open from there for any action.

I may have missed the blindingly obvious but from a basic perspective, this hasn’t happened before. Though I was on an Intel machine prior to this.

Thoughts? Mockery? :joy:

1 Like

Cheers, I haven’t tried to uninstall and re-install yet either. I might try that too. This has been happening for a while. I’ll also contact 1PW to see if they know. I knew I’d get a quick response here! :pray:

1 Like

Happened to me too. The trick for me was closing both the 1Password app (menu bar) and safari. After restarting each it all worked again.

1 Like

That has happened to me a few times too. My trick is to open the app, unlock there and then visit the browser counterparts. Since the browser extension communicates with the app, they get unlocked too.

2 Likes