1Password 8 will be electron, subscription only, and no longer support local vaults

Electron in the Mac App Store is not a slam dunk. Mac App Store Submission Guide | Electron

1 Like

The new app is excellent.

Really responsive and easy to use. I was worried my kids and parents would struggle with any interface updates, but I think itā€™s simpler to use and much nicer looking than the old app.

Overall, I love the new app. If I hadnā€™t read it here I wouldnā€™t even have noticed itā€™s an Electron app.

6 Likes

Does anyone know if itā€™s possible to downgrade to version 7 if I donā€™t want to continue using the newest version?

In the 1Password forums it was stated you could during the beta, so I donā€™t see why not.

Ahh okay cheers @aardy. Iā€™ll give it a try soon then before making up my mind. Good to have a fallback on the off chance I donā€™t though. Universal AutoFill appears to be a feature that may convince me to continue my subscription which expires in a few months.

I have had bad experiences with Electron apps, and was initially nervous about this. However, I agree with @nlippmanā€™s and othersā€™ observations. Version 8 is great. When I upgraded my Mac, I somehow ended up back on version 7. But I vastly prefer 8 and have been thrilled with its performance.

3 Likes

Could it be that you had Mac App Store version previously installed? AFAIK, 1Password7 is the latest MAS version available.

1 Like

That seems like it might have been it. Iā€™m now back on 8. Thank you!

Can you use 1Password 8 on another Mac then 7 on the other?

Iā€™d like to upgrade my personal machine but my work laptop is going to be stuck on version 7 since no MAS for 8.

So if Iā€™m reading that correctly, there are a couple different Electron versions, and only one of them works in the MAS?

I would expect v7 to be a ticking time bomb at this point. Sooner or later something is going to break, and it wonā€™t get fixed. One of the things about them moving to subscriptions is that the new versions are included with the subscription - so I think they assume youā€™ll be able to install them.

Iā€™d email them and let them know about your use case.

Alternatively, can you just get your work to approve v8? 1PW is pretty big on corporate markets - Iā€™d think they built 1PW in such a way that it would be reasonably approve-able by IT departments.

Would try my best. It takes too many process just to get it approved. My manager will just sign it but regional IT is going to either ignore my email or I need a bunch of clearances from the developers just to get it installed on our Macs so the MAS is the fastest route.

Will try to report it to Agilebits and hopefully they can get it to MAS soon.

Yes, I had 8 on my MacBook Pro and 7 on an iMac with no issues during the beta.

1 Like

thank you! will try it out tonight.

Same here but I like 8 better so I upgraded

It was always difficult for me in a corporate environment to install and use Mac apps at work. Instead, I signed in to services like Dropbox and iCloud via the web at work. Iā€™m no longer a 1Password user, but I understand that they offer a web-based version as an alternative to installing their apps.

I believe there is a version of the 1PW browser extension that does not require the app to be installed. Iā€™m not near my Mac so canā€™t check to see if this is true for all browsers or just Firefox and Chrome/Edge.

This might be an option to being able to install the direct download app.

I think itā€™s the only browser extension now (or maybe thatā€™s just the beta?) which was previously 1Password X, but without the OS app installed you canā€™t use touch id / watch unlock.

Yeah, they do - but I would think that would be a huge hassle if somebody had to go to the website, search, copy, then paste every time they needed a password. Better than nothing, I suppose, but far inferior to any on-device app. :slight_smile:

Sure, itā€™s not perfect. Itā€™s just a suggested workaround for a corporate environment where an employee is not in charge.

P.S. I donā€™t trust browser extensions, so i always cut and paste my passwords. :slightly_smiling_face:

I hope thatā€™s copy and paste :wink: :smiley:

1 Like