1Password 8 will be electron, subscription only, and no longer support local vaults

Okay, you got me! Wouldn’t make a lot of sense to “cut” and paste out of my password manager, as you point out. Sloppy usage on my part. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Would give a whole new meaning to “one time password” though… :wink:

5 Likes

Their downloads page has a legacy version section on the bottom right if your device doesn’t support the minimum OS. I see they still have downloads for v7 and v6. As @webwalrus said though I would not expect support to last much longer on the legacy versions or at all.

1 Like

A couple of quick Mod Notes:

We’ve folded in another thread into this one to keep conversations on the same topic in one place.

Several flags have been raised as this thread has gotten heated at times. Please remember our first rule is to Be Polite:

The Internet is often a mean place, but the MPU Talk Forum is designed to be a haven to just hang out and talk about our shared interests. Be respectful of other users, refraining from name-calling, personal attacks, shaming and argument tactics like devil’s advocate positions.

6 Likes

I finally installed 1Password 8 now that it is out of beta. I was kind of expecting to be disappointed with it after following this thread for almost a year now. But in fact I love it! If no one told me it was using Electron, I wouldn’t be able to tell. It is a good Mac citizen as far as I can see.

I love the new quick access shortcut. Even after just a few days, it has filled in passwords flawlessly in places where I had struggled to get it working in the past.

I’ve been using 1Password for years now and the new version was easy to pickup and use as I have been for so long. The new design is pleasing, but everything is where I expect it to be. It’s not disruptive as a new visual design often can be. I’m really happy and feel a sense of relief that they spent the time and attention to get the Mac app right.

10 Likes

I’ve also used 1PW since nearly its inception.

I have no concerns with great ui or app speed. My only concern would be with possible security issues in running chromeos on a mac. Electron apps may end up having a greater surface of attack than native apps due to their nature.

I say this as for me my future use of 1PW is purely about data security.

Local vaults is the key issue for me. Loss of my passwords would be disastrous. There is simply no way I’m going to store my most sensitive, important data on Agilebit’s servers. For that matter on no-one’s server. This data is just too important.

The rest is purely academic for me.

1 Like

We all have to make those kind of decisions. Cvedetails.com is a good source of info on computer vulnerabilities.

I too worry about having critical data not stored locally. However, unless I misunderstand how 1PW works, aren’t there local caches? I note that 1PW seems to have my information even if I do not have internet connectivity. However, I don’t have any idea how frequently that data is updated.

One option if you wanted to continue to use 1PW is to do a regular export (perhaps put on your task list for once/month or once/week) to a csv or tab-delimited file, or 1PW interchange format, or iCloud format, which seem to be the options. Encrypt that file and store it locally, and while it would be a pain to recover if 1PW went away, you would have access to your data. I don’t see this as a terrible option. Frankly, given that I have over 1,300 items in my 1PW main vault, if I were to migrate to another app, I would probably start fresh and enter things from exported 1PW data as they were needed. I don’t have the time to go through my vault now and clean out the cruft.

On another note: I am still on 1PW 7 on my computer (my wife is on version 8 on her computer and it’s working just fine). I asked 1PW if any updates were available and there were not. Is 1PW 7 not going to push an upgrade to 8?

1 Like

Yes, otherwise it wouldn’t work when offline.

It appears to be updated almost instantly. I added 2FE to an existing Login with my iPhone yesterday. In the time it took to log into 1PW on my Mac the Login had been updated.

I used to print a PDF of all my login info and, as you suggested, store it locally in an encrypted file. Now I export a CSV. Rather than do it on a schedule I do it whenever I make additions or changes. And I have always kept a duplicate of any files stored in 1PW as a backup.

I don’t think they have said if/when 1PW v8 will be pushed to existing users. Right now they are saying “come and get it”.

1 Like

My reason for wanting local vaults is not because I want it for offline use, but I have massive concerns about my data being online. I do not want my password data on someone else’s server. There are all kinds of security, jurisdiction boundaries, rogue employees, hacker attacks and other concerns this raises.

1 Like

@svsmailus: Yes, I totally understand that. That is part of why I use SynologyDrive with my Synology rather than a commercial service like Dropbox.

However, IF we assume that 1PW is honest in that only your master password can be used to decrypt the data stored on the 1PW servers, then provided you have an adequate master password, I would expect your online data to be safe.

There are certainly legal issues, eg what if a law enforcement agency had the authority where you live to force you to reveal your master password to be used to decrypt your data? But presumably they would also seize your computer at home and make the same demand?

1 Like

Would totally agree, just depends on which side of the “if” you stand. :grin: I don’t trust Agilebits enough to take the plunge.

2 Likes

I came very close to not upgradeing. I’ve used 1Password since it was in Beta. I like it.

But I really wanted a local vault. I came very close to just using the Keychain, and a hand-written notebook, but finally went ahead and upgraded. The upgrade process was not great in terms of picking up my data. Some logins did not make it up to Agile’s servers, so I was very glad I had an exported list.

The app itself is not terrible. I am still disconcerted by the appearance.

1Password’s regional zones aren’t on the level of say, Amazon Web Services, but they do have a dedicated EU zone that scopes both data storage/transfer and employee access (reminder that it’s impossible for employees to see your passwords; this is just about accessing account metadata, names of invited members, etc.)

US-based also is firewalled from the EU, if you’re afraid of GDPR or whatever…

@svsmailus: Fair enough. I have “enough” confidence in 1PW, at least for the time being. Hopefully I am not misplacing my trust.

1 Like

Many thanks, but that doesn’t seem to provide safe jurisdiction for UK users as we are not part of the EU.

If you are using 1Password Families, my recommendation is to hold off on the upgrade to 1Password, v8. For more information, refer to: Lost functionality in v8: set default vault for new items — 1Password Support Community.

2 Likes

Thank you for mentioning this. Had talked myself into upgrading despite the lack of local vaults but the loss of this feature is a no-go for my family.

2 Likes

I had hard time understanding the issue, the forum thread is too long and I did not have the patience to read through. I have family set up for 1password 8 and I am not aware of any issues.

2 Likes

Short summary - let’s say your grandpa has 1PW as part of a family account with you. Grandpa is always and forever calling you for tech support, so by default you set it up so he puts things in a vault that’s shared with you. That way you can help him with his online stuff.

1PW8 now removes the “default vault” preference and thus breaks that behavior, forcing him to put all of his logins in his private vault unless grandpa (who isn’t good with computers in this scenario) manually changes the vault each and every time he saves a password.

It’s a bit of an edge case, but it’s likely a big issue for a number of people that use family sharing for grandparents, kids, etc.

2 Likes