1Password 8 will be electron, subscription only, and no longer support local vaults

thanks @webwalrus , this is how I do it for my family, but I certainly understand that each family has their own preference / practice.

For my mother who does not live with me and cannot hear, I am “her”, meaning that I set up all the passwords and log in details for her. These details are captured in my own private vault. Then I share her password into a vault that only she and I have access.

I guess in my case it works as my mother would not understand what is the default vault and would never set up log in password from scratch.

1 Like

Here’s what I wrote in the 1Password Support Community:

In the etcetera group, I’d add nontechnical spouses. My wife, who is a talented artist, only uses computers when she has no other option. The vast majority of our passwords are in a shared vault. After lots of coaching (and a little pleading), I’ve trained her to use 1Password, but she doesn’t care to learn the finer details.

As I’ve helped many other couples/families with 1Password I’ve generally found one family member receptive to password management but often others have to be pulled along. In these cases, shared vaults become indispensable.

4 Likes

Thisis still my PRIMARY reason for moving away from 1PW. I rarely care about Electron vs native if the SW works for me. I am willing to pay for subscriptions that prove their worth but no option to control my own data is a total deal breaker.

6 Likes

I returned to the 1Password Community forum to see if there was any additional information regarding the status of default vaults (in 1Password 8). Unfortunately there’s nothing new from 1Password, the company (looks like the’ve removed references to AgileBits), thus I added a follow-up comment: Lost functionality in v8: set default vault for new items — 1Password Support Community

If this feature is important to you, please consider adding a comment to the 1Password Community forum.

2022-06-30 09.35.32

1Password is a premium sponsor of Electron-alternative Tauri, maybe they are not so happy with Electron either.

1 Like

With regards to a default vault, Ben (from 1Password) replied to my post. It’s worse than I thought. They don’t plan to include this v7 feature in v8 of the app.

details

I voiced my concern in another reply.

details

Again, if this feature is important to you, please consider adding a comment to the 1Password Community forum.