1Password 8 will be electron, subscription only, and no longer support local vaults

Somewhat sadly, the era of native apps is coming to a close much, much, much more quickly and pervasively than many people realize.

7 Likes

Fair enough, I think we are saying the same thingā€¦ you just said it better :).

1 Like

Regarding bad omens for Apple, it depends. See the previously linked Secrets app, for example. SwiftUI and other Apple native frameworks can help develop an app that is functionally equivalent to 1Password as it was in their 3 release, for a fraction of tue development cost. So pricing can be competitive.

We will see a lot of comings and goingā€™s on this native-vs-Electron war in non multi platform use cases.

If you are willing to lose a bit of functionality (like Apple Watch), just get Bitwarden. Even the free version is enough for most users.

I already am so Iā€™m cutting my losses. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bitwarden. All the way. Itā€™s still a subscription if you need to store anything in it (such as licenses, documents, etc) but itā€™s FAR more affordable, optional, and in my one year with Bitwarden, itā€™s everything Iā€™ll ever need.

Isnā€™t Bitwarden also using Electron?

Iā€™m trialling Secrets which I have via Setapp.

5 Likes

Bitwarden uses electron. They have also a Windows and Linux versions so Mac and iOS is not their sole focus.

1 Like

This is why I donā€™t like Electron first and foremost as a Mac user. I value apps that are built natively. One of the reason why Adobe apps still suck today in terms of performance compared to apps like Affinity.

1 Like

I will be sticking with 1Password despite this. I use it with all my family and have no issues paying the sub for such an essential service.

Electron doesnā€™t necessarily mean worse. I use an electron email app (Superhuman) and itā€™s much faster than any native email app. It also offers all features and storage offline. They feel different but if an Electron app is well designed and coded it can offer a great experience.

I would never judge an app on a beta, better to wait for the finished product before making conclusions.

8 Likes

After using the early access alongside 7 for a morning of work, I think Iā€™m okay with the change in app architecture. On a 2017 i7, I canā€™t tell a meaningful difference in rendering speed. 1PW8 does use more memory for me (about 200MB across all processes vs 125MB for 7.) It also has about 8x as many threadsā€”thatā€™s Rustā€™s safe parallel programming in action! UI responsiveness is about the same.

Iā€™m neutral on the UI changes overall. The edit view in 8 is nicer to look at and seems more clearly laid out, which will help keep data in the correct fields, something we have an issue with sometimes. On the other hand, I prefer how search in 7 would filter down alphabetical lists. Search in 8 has a cramped autocomplete that appears under the search field. Cmd+enter filters down the list of credentials by relevancy, which is less predictable. I can see how this would help in larger lists of credentials, though.

I never step into Watchtower and Iā€™m a little concerned its increased prominence and shininess will lead to people changing credentials for no reason. I guess thatā€™s an example of how 1PW sees good design as nudging in the direction better behavior despite objection. :wink:

Weā€™re already paying for 7 subscription so no issue there; I do understand the loss that standalone license holders are feeling right now, though.

8 Likes

actually of native processing as well.

1 Like

AFAIK thatā€™s the way it works now (i.e. in version 7).

Edit: Iā€™m referring to my understanding of how the standalone-licensed version works, since this is the version I have.

1 Like

If they donā€™t keep your passwords on their servers how can you access them from the web?

@jec0047 I see your edit. Understood. Thank you.

Sorry, I should have provided some context; Iā€™ve added it to my original post.

Yeah, Iā€™m going to have to dig into this and make sure that whatever theyā€™re doing meets what I think is appropriate for this kind of software/service. I honestly donā€™t mind paying a subscription for something of this nature and importance, as long as there are provisions in place for my continued access to my data in the event of a sudden failure with the service provider or my failure to pay. Time for a security assessmet :slight_smile:

I absolutely agree. Itā€™s going to be quite an adjustment

I (and others, Iā€™m sure) eagerly await your findings.

Oh great. So now I have to do it sober :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thatā€™s not necessarily a requirement :wink:

1 Like