1Password 8 will be electron, subscription only, and no longer support local vaults

For those now feeling obliged to look at the password management issue anew, here’s a shameless plug for something I wrote recently on the subject:

2 Likes

If these numbers are correct - bit of a memory hog

Stole this from twitter - had a laugh

The mullet of software design - Electron up front and Rust out back…

16 Likes

We’ve started moving to Keychain and Microsoft Authenticator instead. For common passwords that need to be shared with family members, we can go to settings and passwords on our iPhones and airdrop it to the family member. For the rest, we were able to export the passwords and other items from 1Password and import them into Authenticator. So far, we haven’t seen any challenges on the password end. So far…:slight_smile:

The one thing we need to figure out are the software licenses and other secure notes we each have in our vaults.

You 1PW memory use looks close to mine. I guess it varies for some reason.

640K isn’t enough for anything anymore.

1 Like

16gb RAM doesn’t excuse bloat

I’d also be interested to see energy use / battery life of v7 and v8

Bit like that other hog, Chrome. All the youngster at work install it on their Mac like it’s the only browser out there and bitch why I get better battery life. Tell them to just use Safari

I have expressed some disappointed feelings about 1Password’s change to an Electron app.

1 Like

Lol, I wish mine was that low!
On MacBook Pro with the new version 8 I’m showing a total of 160MB
On iMac running version 7 115MB

It doesn’t even break into the top 30 memory hogs on my machine.

I’m not defending electron, it was just a comment on how ram and storage for anything we do has been increasing ever since the first PC was booted.

I joined the subscription model immediately when it was introduced years ago. If one does subscriptions, this should be the first one to sign up for and the last one you cut. I cannot imagine sending marco arment money for a podcasting app but cheaping out on 1password. ludicrous.

not thrilled about electron though

6 Likes

When I switched (reluctantly) to 1Password and paid a subscription fee, I was still subscribed to Enpass. But Enpass was pissing me off w/ problems saving logins. I’ve previously used KeePass and LastPass and others I have forgotten. And Keychain, of course.

Initially 1Password was better at saving logins, but not stellar. And triggering autofill seemed to take too many steps. But it was still better than all others I’ve tried so I was ok. And then I started noticing (just in the last 3-6 months) that 1Password seemed to be improving - saving was nearly 100% automatic, and autofill started working the second I clicked into a login box - prompts just popped up and I was one click away from logging in! And on iOS, while the process takes a few more taps than I’d like, it is SO much better than past apps I’ve tried.

How the backend works, whether it is Swift or Electron, native or not, written in Rust or C++ or Fortran, whether the sync occurs on iCloud, Dropbox or 1PW’s own servers - I could care less, really. If it works, it works.

7 Likes

Wow, that’s some serious investment and Enterprise play going on there. Makes sense, given the Windows-centric enterprise space combined w/ lots of iOS and Android devices. Cross-platform password security is a big need. One less thing for I.T. to have to futz with…

I already pay for sub and use their sync so that is fine. However, the electron thing bugs the hell out of me. I get why small startups do this as it’s a code once use everywhere type approach, however given the age and recent news of the company this bugs me. I have to use windows once in a while so can’t switch over to apple when they upgrade the offering… but will def look around.

I know some devs will smack me for this, but going electron and not native is cheap and lazy.

I’m not sure I’d use the word “lazy”, but it’s definitely an intentional determination that having a single codebase is more important than things like performance, memory usage, or being a “good platform citizen” as far as UI and such.

It surprises me from a company that started on Mac. Mac users seem to value that sort of thing much more than, say, Windows or Linux.

3 Likes

Andrew Canion - The March of Electron: 1Password Edition

The macOS is the last version to get it [Electron], and I’m surprised there has been so much vitriol now, when the writing has been on the wall for well over 8 months."

Reminds me of the Vogons in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy telling humans to stop bitching about the imminent destruction of earth for an interstellar bypass.

Updating the Vogon Planning Process – Jason Kitcat

There’s no point acting all surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display in your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your Earth years, so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and it’s far too late to start making a fuss about it now.

3 Likes

This is tough. As someone who works on macOS, Windows, and Linux, I’m happy that their apps are going to be unified and work the same across devices. But from a macOS perspective it’s a worse app (right now). I’m pretty sure they’ll iron out the issues eventually but I’m afraid they lost a lot of support by not releasing this in a more polished state.

I also think that this might be a bad omen for Apple. If an initially Mac-centric company like 1Password goes Electron then I’m not sure SwiftUI is enough to keep developers in the Apple eco-system. Again I’m torn because I like being able to work on any device I pick up.

As Steve Jobs used to say, “Then use the web app!”

It’s a preview, not released to the masses yet.

1 Like

I was just observing from my personal perspective. All I was trying to say was that I want a good Mac-centric app, but I also appreciate what they’re trying to do because I have to use multiple platforms. I’m in no way arguing that all macOS users need to think that way. I also ignored arguments about local vaults, and subscriptions, not because they aren’t valid but just because I was just speaking from myself only. :smiley:

Yep, which is why I said they should have waited to release it until they ironed out more issues. Releasing a “preview” using a controversial technology for Mac-apps, changing default keyboard shortcuts that have been default for 8+ years, offering no way to customize them, and having less than stellar performance is just asking to be raked over the coals. I think they could’ve side stepped a lot of that if they had shored up some low hanging fruit to make it work more like their Mac apps have functioned in the past. :man_shrugging:

1 Like