2009 iMac Setup - Still Going Strong

This is my daily drive setup

2009 iMac - 16 GB ram and 2 TB SSD
Full Mac Keyboard (Wired)
Secondary Monitor HP W2081d
iPad Mini 4 - I have no use for iPad except media consumption
iPhone 11 (Not pictured)
Left-handed mouse - unknown brand (Hama)
Anker Stand for iPhone or iPad

Below is the Mac Mini running mainly as a Plex Server!

2010 Mac Mini - 8 GB ram and 256 GB SSD (I think because it says Solid State SATA)

Hanging off the Mac Mini

• Short Mac keyboard with English/Arabic Keys (Wireless)
  • 1 External HDD - 250 GB
  • 1 External HDD - 1 TB
5 Likes

Always great to see how much value people still get out of their (very) old Macs. Especially, when you consume a lot of tech podcasts where oftentimes the only things that count are the new and shiny ones.

Btw.: You should really clean this keyboard. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Curious as to what version of MacOS is the 2009 iMac running on?

It’s so refreshing to see people getting good use of their hardware. These days, people upgrade so often and most podcast only talk about what new Apple stuff they bought.

In most cases, old is gold. I look at my 2012 Mac mini. My trusted friend. My dear Mac. I love that guy.

Model Identifier: iMac10,1
System Version: macOS 10.13.6
macOS High Sierra

I just bought a “new” 2014 Mac mini to use at MacStadium, because it’s the last Mac mini that can run High Sierra, which is the last version of macOS which contains a usable Server.app.

My 2011 and 2012 Mac minis continue to function very well for daily tasks (one as Plex / media server, the other as backups coordinator).

Yeah I run a 2010 iMac with High Sierra at home. The lack of retina screen is its biggest shortcoming to date. With an SSD upgrade and 12 GB ram it runs remarkably well for most purposes.

I had a 2012 Mac mini with one of the very first fusion drives. It became unusable and the spinning drive seemed to be the culprit. I eventually broke apart the fusion drive and installed Mojave on to the 128G SSD and gave it to my cousin. It’s more than enough for him to do everything he needs (simple web, email and office 365). I’d bet it will still be working when it turns 10 in 2022.

I do all my office work

• Email
  • YouTube video production
  • Photoshop
  • Blogging
    And I use all the automation software - TextExpander, Keyboard Maestro, Hazel.
    I use AppleScripts I find and modify (Not recommended)

I tried getting Steam to run but that failed.

1 Like

That iMac was my first Mac. Once I replaced the spinning disk with a SSD it was a really great machine.

OMG with the keyboard… #imdead :rofl:

I’d really like some fancy new computers myself, but my wife’s 2009 MBP with newer RAM and an SSD runs fine daily, as does my 2011 iMac with the stock RAM (added 8GB) and the stock HDD as a data drive (Thunderbolt 1 SSD as boot.) I’m either too cheap or too pragmatic to replace it.

Definitely needs some Mac Power Cleaners. Yikes!

Haha, I have don’t worry!