4k or Ultrawide for MBP + HDMI

Your Google-fu is good. I get frustrated googling for products such as these because all I see in the returned results are best prices from multiple websites… sigh!

I’m in the same boat… run Windows at work as an IT guy (and need Windows to do some tech-y things), but my MacBook Pro is my laptop of choice. Debating between the LG34WK95U-W, the LG 38WK95C-W, and potentially a Dell. So far the LG 34WK95U-W is highest on my list, but I’d love to get your thoughts after some time with it!

1 Like

I use this for 6 months already and love it very much. My primary machine for this monitor is a Windows machine and I also connect a MacBook daily to the monitor.

1 Like

I think my biggest question at this point is how the various LG monitors perform as far as switching between the systems in my use case. I’d have a MacBook Pro on the TB3 / USB-C input, and a Windows machine using the DP input. I understand it’s pretty straightforward on all the monitors to switch from the Mac to the Windows machine (and back again), or even split the monitors, but I’d really like to run these with a single keyboard and mouse – how do these systems do with KVM functionality? Thanks!

I’m wondering, worst case, if I went with the 5K2K LG monitor, perhaps I could move to the Logitech Craft / Flow Mouse system anyhow. Might be best of both worlds!

I think I can answer this question.
My mouse and keyboard is plugged into the two USB-A ports at back of the monitor. My Windows PC is connected from HDMI (in the PC side) into HDMI in the back of the monitor(*).

When I am using the MacBook, I plug the USB-C into the Mac and it detects the keyboard and mouse. This cable also display the Mac desktop into the monitor and charges the Mac.

When I am using the PC, I will unplug the USB-C cable from the Mac and plug it into a USB-C to A converter (included with the monitor). This converter is permanently plugged into USB-A port in the PC. In this case, the USB-C cable essentially acts as a mouse-keyboard cable for the PC. Yes, it sounds inconvenient to unplug and plug, but it’s no big deal in practice, as I am just unplugging it from the Mac and into the converter at the back of the PC.

The monitor can display both Windows and Mac side by side. In this case, the USB-C is plugged to the Mac. And you have to install a software KVM from LG (LG Dual Controller Driver) into both the Mac and the PC. So when you are trying to control the Windows desktop, the k+m is physically plugged to the Mac but the software KVM in the Mac talks to the software KVM in the PC to translate your k+m input.

The software KVM works ok if you absolutely must have two systems running side by side. In my environment, I use the PC for gaming and the Mac for productive work - so it’s better for me to have fullscreen (for one system) and physical k+m connected to get better response (in gaming) and as mentioned above, it’s just a matter of unplug and plug one small cable.

Hope this helps.

(*) I didn’t use the DisplayPort cable because the USB-C at the Mac is driven by Thunderbolt and the TB and DP share the same bus, so if you want to use DP, then you cannot have both PC and Mac showing side by side in the monitor.

Great info, thank you!

How do you switch inputs between displays?

I have a similar need (windows PC for work and MacBook for personal). In my home office i am connecting both to a 4K HP 27” monitor. It doesn’t work great. There are some issue with my PC video card driving this monitor, and switching between inputs requires a number of clicks on the buttons behind the monitor (menu, scroll down to input, menu, select USB C or DP). I wish there was an easier way, which it sounds like its one click on these LGs?

For keyboard mouse, i got the Logitech craft keyboard and a mouse. They have 3 BT connections that are super easy to switch between and the keyboard is pretty well laid out for going between Win/Mac. Much easier to click one of the dedicated connection buttons than mess with switches or cables. I didn’t install any of the Logitech software as my PC is pretty locked down. This all works out of the box.

The Craft keyboard is expensive, but it feels really good. I first bought one of the cheaper Logitech keyboards that switched between 3 devices (it had a built in stand for phones). I hated it. It didn’t feel right, the number keys too small, and was missing key keys i use frequently (pg up/dn home/end).

Thanks Jalm! Just ordered a Logitech Craft keyboard and a MX Master 2S mouse. Am guessing the 5K2K monitor will be a follow-up item early this week.

I have been using my LG 5k2k for a few months now, and short version - it’s great if you have the space and especially if you need to connect more than 1 computer to your display.
As reported above it’s easy to switch between MBP and PC using the input joystick. I also found a setting that lets the PC use the full screen without looking stretched. For those that need it, there’s a split screen function to show both machines at the same time.
To answer the KVM questions above:

• I use a Logitech K811 which can switch between 3 inputs; I like that it’s small but some won’t like the absence of Home / End / Page Up / Page down.
  • I use a Mac mouse for the MBP and a Logitech Master MX 2S for the PC. I could of course switch the Logitech mouse between the two machines, but it stays in my work backpack, so I prefer to keep a dedicated mouse for the Mac.

I once or twice have had issues with the display not waking from sleep properly or the MBP going back and forwards on whether it has an external display when waking from sleep. This was resolved by rebooting the MBP and I think recent software upgrades helped too as I haven’t seen it happen recently.
I was also worried that the MBP was charging constantly (reported in another thread) but I think it’s really just driving the display or Safari that’s keeping it warm (54 C). Unzipping the Xcode beta drove it up to 100 C. When I wake it from sleep, it’s cold.

1 Like

Yes just one button press. When I plug the usb cable into the Mac, the monitor detects a new input and prompted whether I want to switch to the new input. Pressing the joystick button once at the bottom of the monitor to confirm it and it switch immediately.