500: David in the Hot Seat

I’m going to do a post or a video … or somethinig on this before the end of the year. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Wolfie You endear me more with every post!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the warm words. I really did sort of start to lose it at the beginning. I didn’t expect that to happen. Then again … California.

7 Likes

Aren’t the red crystals inherently unstable, also? As in, only a truly powerful Sith can create and stabilize red Kyber crystals. Perhaps this is why Kylo’s “blade” seems so unstable, is because Kylo lacks the force ability or is unstable enough to keep the blade intact?

500! Amazing!

I have listened to MPU since the very first episode! How many years has it been?

I’d love to listen to the first episode. Any idea if and where I can find it?

I love the new shows but I do miss Katie! She was a great foil to Dave! Is she working for Apple? I think I read it here.

Dave, you ought to ask her if she’d be interested in coming back for a show once a year. What do you think?

1 Like
3 Likes

Definitely not working for Apple, you might be thinking of Serenity Caldwell who was with iMore before going to Apple.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, khit!

1 Like

Thank you for this episode! It really is a special one.

1 Like

She just sent her regards, she wasn’t there in person.

1 Like

Hi there. For some reason I can’t get the second P to work and open that second box. Help please.

I will describe what is nearly always the problem for the Sparky Shuffle. Use that name and I will tell you :smiley:. Like the guys will only retrieve info if you PROMISE to back up and that kind of thing!

I am sure you wil do that! So here we go. If you are on Mojave you have to call the item.

Save as PDF

Exactly like that and in the right place. I will amplify below. Get back to me if this doesn’t work. I am not sure why this works by the way without a conflict, I would never have guessed it.

It usually doesn’t work because one has not entered the EXACT menu name in the preferences pane for app shortcuts. Make sure you are in APP shortcuts too.

System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts

then click the plus sign in that window. You will get a drop down and you have to enter the EXACT name. If you do, as I did, leave out a capital letter, it won’t work. Also if you have this ’ … ’ three dots it is an ELLIPSIS NOT three periods.

It won’t work if you do that. If there are no ellipses as in later version of OSX then you leave them out. tricky point and applies in other places. Ellipsis is not three periods. I think I get mine from the keyboard viewer originally anyway. “Show emoji and symbols” panel. It is called ‘horizontal ellipsis’. If I remember you don’t need to seek out the right font at least.

Some ‘letters’ on Macs, in general are not, from a system point of view, what you think they are. Some of the accented letters for example are really two ‘things’ combined. It causes quite a few problems. You see it in blogs and so on sometimes, weird symbols appear, usually A and conjoined letters. Other reasons why that happens I think.

I listen to all of David’s podcasts, buy the field guides and take his advise as the gospel because of his passion and professionalism (and the fact that he strikes me as a really likable guy In spite of the fact that he’s a lawyer). Thank you Mr S!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your response. My problem was with the wording as you suggested. All good now.
Cheers!

1 Like

If you use a US keyboard layout you can get with ⌥ + ;

Do you want “Save As…” back?

Remember when ⌘ ⇧ S used to mean “Save As…” instead of “Duplicate”?

You can get that back by assigning it here:

And here’s a fun fact: at least here, it doesn’t matter if you use three periods or an ellipsis¹ , but you must capitalize both Save and As.

¹ Why does it matter in some places and not matter in others? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

I can attest that David and his whole family are wonderful people. I had the pleasure of spending time with them at Macworld a number of years ago.

2 Likes

Excellent! I used to use option + M for µ. I had no idea ellipsis was there just right next to it! Save As I liked too and will put back this way. Maybe somebody deliberately built it in to the system so that. in that case, it will work two ways, with three dots or one ellipsis? I can only think some Apple engineer must have built that in at some point? It is so tricky otherwise, for a long time I had no idea the ellipsis was a different symbol. I think I only found out from David’s show in fact.

Weird though: thanks @tjluoma . I think I need to look at those options again actually in the system shortcuts.
:+1:

1 Like

My sanity was saved the day I found this while fiddling around with my keyboard (when I was supposed to be writing my masters proposal :smile:)

1 Like

I long ago gave up on memorizing characters I’d only be using from time to time. PopCharX changed my life (on the Mac) years ago, and it’s still going strong.:white_check_mark:

1 Like

I use Keyboard Maestro and set it so Hyper key + k gives me a menu of all the Greek characters and others I semi-regularly use.

3 Likes