504: The Release of macOS Catalina

What happens to 32 bit apps?

They will not run on Catalina. At all.

If you want to have your cake and eat it too, you could run Mojave in a virtual machine using VMware, etc.
Havenā€™t tried it myself.

1 Like

Iā€™m actually okay with stars going away. The current binary system is all that I really have bandwidth for when it comes to rating music. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got an email from Noodlesoft about this, so I held off on upgrading my main mac ( iMac ). I did upgrade my Macbook Pro to Catalina today, since I rarely use it and it doesnā€™t have Hazel.

Iā€™m still waiting for Evernote Webclipper to work on Safari 13!

Oh but theyā€™re notā€¦

Kirkville - Use Half-Star Ratings in macOS Catalinaā€™s Music App

3 Likes

Same. I have star system the uses every star rating to mean something. No stars are unused.

1 Like

I used to use MacPilot to unlock half-star ratings in settings, but when I decided not to upgrade to the latest version of that app I found another, free way to do it (I think I used Deeper).

It turns out that star ratings are safe and sound in the new Music app. Note that if you should delete the Album Artwork folder in your library and restart the Music app after you upgrade. Music gets stuck in a loop processing artwork and will consume all available memory if you donā€™t.

This problem is probably for users with large libraries. I have a 1TB music library full of star ratings, notes in the comments of various tracks , custom album covers done my friends of mine, and a huge number of music tracks that will never be part of Apple Music. Many of my favority artists only released their music via locally via CDā€™s, USB sticks, or Beatport.

1 Like

Interesting article from a former Apple software engineer.

Apple should SLOW DOWN and cleanup house.
We donā€™t need more features.

1 Like

A lot of people like to rail about the release cycle being every year, and how a two-year cycle would be better, etc. It seems reasonable that they could be on a two-, three-, or more year release cycle. Maybe team A is working on the 2021 release, while team B is working on the 2020 release.

Thatā€™s a good suggestion. Of course, none of really knows whatā€™s going in Appleā€™s OS development but considering the problems with this yearā€™s release, itā€™s safe to say they could be putting more resources into it. Yesterday I had a ā€˜Really???ā€™ momentā€¦ as I was helping a friend find the source of his iPhoneā€™s dramatic battery drain, I heard that theyā€™re paying Anniston and Witherspoon 2 million dollars per episode for the Morning Show, whatever that is. Really???