522: iCloud Family Sharing

I see, that’s good to hear but I don’t see this clearly mentioned in Apple’s KBase, so I am a little nervous about losing her iCloud Photos.

“Each family member has their own separate iCloud Photo Library or Photo Stream library, but the Family album allows them a space to store communal photos, images, and video.”

This was a great show. I had been resisting moving to family sharing because of the problems reported during its initial implementation. This show convinced me to take another look at it.

I too have a legacy appleid that is used to share App Store purchases among family members. I didn’t want to lose those purchases so I made that appleid a member of my family by assigning it a family slot. It does use one of my 6 family sharing slots but I didn’t need all six slots anyway. Now everyone in the family can use their own appleid for making purcheses going forward but still have access to purchases made previously with the legacy shared id.

About to add my kids to our family plan. Young elementary school ages. Part of it will be creating new Apple IDs. Any mistakes to avoid when I set things up the first time?