523: State of the iPad

Spanish and Italian are fine.

Ancient Greek isn’t. There are too many combinations of diacritical marks, so you need the ability to add a custom keyboard layout that can handle them.

So, for example, here are some of the combinations with a lower case “alpha.”

α ἀ ἁ ἄ ἅ ἂ ἃ ἆ ἇ ᾳ ᾀ ᾁ

It gets a little crazy. On the Mac there have been really good 3rd party keyboard layouts that make this possible for a long time, including way back when I was working on papers with my Mac SE. At that time to type ancient Greek on a Windows machine you pretty much had to know the ASCII codes for various letter and accent combinations.

1 Like

I move back and forth between my MBP and iPad and I completely agree that once a work session passes a threshold of complexity or duration that the Mac is far superior for many sorts of works (especially the ones you describe).

But, Blink is an amazingly good mosh/ssh client, Prompt is pretty good too, and there are a bunch of really good sftp-enabled code editors out there too. Cisco and Palo Alto Networks (at least) have enterprise VPN clients for the iPad.

Doing development on back-end/remote/Unix systems with an iPad is (for me) really very doable, and a surprisingly pleasant way to get some work done on the sofa, in a coffee shop, or on an airplane.

Again, I’m not trying to make the case that it’s a replacement for a Mac all the time; I’m just pointing out that some of the things you haven’t found available are, in fact, quite available and (for some people) very useful.

I am using my iPad Pro to grade tests right now, using GoodNotes.

Funny story about how I transitioned to all-electronic grading. I was in the middle of grading (paper) tests when I paused to go out to dinner with my wife. I came back and found out that my dog, angry that we have left him behind, had eaten one of the tests right off of my desk. He has since discovered a “taste” for paper. (Yes, my wife had a good belly laugh at the role reversal of a professor having to explain to his student about this, but I was far less amused.) Ever since then students either submit work as PDFs or I scan them in using a ScanSnap.

Most of my lectures/presentations are also using the iPad, using PDF Expert, which I also use for all of my PDF article reading.

What is “delightful” is to be able to take only the iPad home and have all the books, articles, homework, etc that I could possibly want. No more heavy bags to take home, just my laptop and iPad.

8 Likes

iPad and Pencil and Google Classroom has been a game changer for grading.

Agreed, wholeheartedly!

Well, not Google Classroom, in my case, since it isn’t available to me. But the iPad and Pencil, definitely.

And the advantage of having copies of all those graded papers neatly filed without extra work (and scanning or copying) is huge.

I was disappointed that no one mentioned the application management issues with the iPad.

As someone who has north of 1200 apps on their iPad organizing them and finding the one you want is often difficult. Sometimes I end up with a duplicate app or an older version and I want to delete the older version but can’t find it.

What I would love to see is that if you search it and it comes up that you can manage it from the results of the search, click on it and see where it’s actually located, and what folder and delete it if you want to.

Has someone with an iPad and iPhone it sure would be nice if the folders in the locations of the apps would sync across.

I would love if you could addresses in the upcoming feedback show. Any recommended tricks and tips would be appreciated.

From time to time I take screenshots (under Settings) of all my apps, then do a clean install of my iPad/iPhone. Initially I only install those apps that I use frequently, i.e. more than twice in the past 30 days. After than I only reinstall apps as needed and frequently some are never used again.

I prefer to keep my apps in folders and keep those I use every day in the Dock. I only have 90, not counting the stock apps, but everything fits on one screen with room to spare.

1 Like

Honestly: how many of those do you really use?

2 Likes

What is a pro app on the iPad? I like the references David gives in terms of legal software for example. I have paid for some pretty robust teaching planning software in the past (lesson planning, exports, attendance, etc.) and it was worth the price.

I kept thinking of the Logic Pro example. How much can they put in there? I am truly asking. The amount of stuff you can put into Logic is astronomical. There are great software instruments, and don’t even get me started on the samplers. It’s a lot of stuff happening at once, which is why a lot of people still rely on pretty beefy computers. Is there a limit? If there is, what’s the dividing line? A “watered down” DAW? We have that, it’s called Garage Band, and it’s amazingly capable as a DAW. I’ve helped make full songs using Garage Band, I’ve run backing tracks from my iPad, I’ve used it as an amp modeler. All pro uses (in that I get paid to do some of those things).

It seems like perhaps the biggest sticking point, which I’ll agree with, is the multiple instances of audio input to the iPad. But even that’s not really native to the Mac, you have to download software like Loopback to accomplish software routing, and if you want hardware solutions, you have to buy a box to hook up via a cable.

So I guess my question is this, is allowing multi track recording enough of a pro feature to say the iPad is a pro device regarding audio?

2 Likes

There’s more than Logic and Garage Band. Quite impressive how much you can accomplish with that and a lot of iOS synths and samplers.

1 Like

I bought a refurbished Dell 2 in 1 laptop/tablet thing. It was under $200 delivered. Windows 10 and all that. It is slow, pokey and not suitable for daily use. However, I have some apps and hardware that work best with Windows.

I think I would have been happier with a Surface. I am cheap, and it was handy.,

But if It works well enough to do the job, who cares? It’s not your primary computer. I occasionally run Windows 10 in VirtualBox. Performance is not great, but it works.

IMO, sometimes “Good enough” is the best solution.

1 Like