530: Working From Home

Sorry about that. I have an advantage as a new empty nester. No kids to track in dirt. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m impressed that you recognized those authors! I also have full sets of Owen and Calvin but I now mostly use Logos–a seminary library on all of my devices. :slight_smile: The bookshelves were not cheap but they do add a lot to the study. Somehow, an iPad just doesn’t have the same ambiance. :slight_smile:

Yes, that happens. My right one is down to about 35 mins of use.

1 Like

This is great. It’s exactly what I’m hearing. Both are perfectly legible and acceptable. But the bass on the MBP clip makes the AirPods sound so tinny and thin.

If I were talking to you, I’d definitely want you using the built in laptop mics!
:grinning:

2 Likes

Moving to “working from home” was a huge issue the last weeks. Still digesting all the initial problems. And now I need to think of a balance between office/home work.

1 Like

Same here. I get random intervals of time on mine, usually anywhere from 45 minutes to about 2 hours. The left one always goes out about 20 minutes ahead of the right.

Contemplating a new pair because of the annoyance.

Great Episode and Very Timely ! I am a teacher and also working on my graduate degree in Instructional Technology. Some great tips here!

By the way, @MacSparky, I rather enjoy the minor 3rd… If I had to pick an interval as a favorite … its probably that one!

Great tip. In the early days of video conferencing a lot of data “leaked” from the white boards in conference rooms.

2 Likes

I usually work from home and that’s interesting

My wife has been working from home for almost a month now. The plans are to keep working from home indefinitely. She is doing well with it and enjoys it. She has two laptops going and three monitors. All Windows based.

I would like to work from home. I am have been on administrative leave for almost a month. I am returning to work next week. However, I will be limited on what I do. I have been doing some training, handling emails and taking care of some of the other things that come up.

True story. I was with a big company that had general purpose meeting rooms with whiteboards. You always had to erase the whiteboard at the end of meeting to prevent someone not cleared to see the info from seeing it.

Also, I might have a computer open, breakfast, dirty dishes, who knows what else in the background. The backdrop hides that and gives me a sense of having an office separate from my living space.

Is administrative leave like being furloughed? It’s good to hear that you get to return to work next week. Hopefully you can find ways to do more from home, though it isn’t possible to do for every job.

From the Clark Howard show, I heard the statistic that about 30% of employees can work from home, so that leaves a lot of people needing protective gear and safety procedures to avoid infection.

Best wishes.

I think remote work will continue to be something people want. I see it now, as more of our recent hires, both at the professional and support staff and secretarial level, ask about it. To get the best people, we have to at least offer the option.

Prior to the current crisis, I worked at home on Fridays, but went to my regular office the other days. But more and more people are working from home more days — much of our office space is idle or vacant, which is slightly embarrassing when clients come to the office and see so many empty offices. In fact, my partners and I have decided that we will be consolidating our office space as our leases come up. My prediction is that after this crisis is over, the commercial real estate market for office space will take a bit of a hit.

@Robejazz As intervals go, it’s a pretty good one. it’s the 24/7 part that gets on your nerves. I’m actually pretty good at tuning it out.

That’s not surprising. I have clients with white boards in conference rooms, and they have a pull-down shade in front of them to prevent spying eyes. Company Intellectual Property can be very valuable and lost easily.

1 Like

It means I am being paid, my leave is accumulating and I still have benefits. I am not working and it is not drawing against my other leave balances.

1 Like

I totally do too. I personally want to see it increase because it’s been the best boon to my family life. I get to see my wife and kids throughout the day, and I don’t miss important moments.

My main hope is that companies can flex their culture to positively impact employees instead of clamping down on them.

2 Likes

Just to be clear, as a business owner, I offer it to select employees once they’ve show responsibility and productivity. Its not for everyone and they have to show productivity while at home or the privilege is revoked, particularly for salaried employees. As long as they get their work done, I’m good with certain employees working from home.

1 Like

Haven’t worked in office as an independent consultant or an employee in over 10 years. If I heard that I had to ‘earn the right’ I’d walk immediately.

Better option may be to create a culture that encourages flexibility and enables remote work as a default. You may find that it helps your bottom line; overhead, recruiting talent, and productivity just to name a few. Remote by the founders of 37Signals is a great read on the business merits of remote work (understanding that this doesn’t make sense for all businesses).

2 Likes