532: BetterTouchTool

I have used Karabiner to remap the right-command and right-option keys to be special keys, because I almost never use them. Command+Shift+1 = Thumb+Pinky+Ring-Finger on my left hand.

I won’t claim myself or my experiences to be normal for anyone besides myself, of course.

1 Like

I have a Logitech MX master keyboard on order. Very highly rated. Bluetooth or USB wireless connectivity to 1 to 3 different devices; I will use on Mac, ipad and iphone. Ive been using Logitech solar powered kbd that also connects to 3 devices. But not extended, and i want that.

Been experimenting but can’t figure out how to build actions that only work in specific app(s). Can someone enlighten me?

https://docs.bettertouchtool.net/docs/2_preferences_basic_overview.html

1 Like

Then I changed them to three-finger to avoid collisions. Which is a lesson all in itself. :slight_smile:

Wow, thank you.I’ll give it a test this weekend

I didn’t know Karabiner could do that. Might try it again.

It’s mostly just a various on Brett Terpstra’s hyper key idea.

Use right_command key as right_command with modifier OR F18 key when pressed alone

So if I do happen use the right ⌘ key with another key, it will still work, but if I press it alone, it sends F18.

What F18 does is determined by Keyboard Maestro.

The right_option is even ampler, it just sends F20 because I never use it for ⌥

What F20 does is determined by Keyboard Maestro.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation @tjluoma. I do use Keyboard Maestro that way, to ‘simplify’, as I see it, some shortcuts in DEVONthink 3 as a matter of fact.

Same place as me. I am struggling with Touchbar and this might be a good option. I can’t quite tell you why but I don’t like even the F keys now, it doesn’t feel right to my hands. Might just be a case of getting used to it but I would really have preferred the old row of regular keys.

Just downloaded the trial. First thing I’ve configured is a tip tap gesture that allows me to align two or more objects in Keynote to left.

Wow. This very neat!

2 Likes

Would love to buy the tool but it is conditional on my enrolling in Apple Pay or Pay-pal. I have no use for either. I’m no more interested in having another credit card (one is more than enough) than I do in joining Facebook.

FWIW, both of those systems just link to an existing card or account.

1 Like

Papal wants to link directly to my bank. apple Pay wants to issue me a new line of credit and card. So why not just take the original card? I have a credit card and a separate debit card. That’s enough for me. Not worth the hassle of signing up for new ways to pay for stuff.

Any chance you’re trying to buy from the wrong site? Here are the payment options. If you click card, you get a standard payment form (cc number, expiry, etc.)

Here’s a link to the purchase page: https://folivora.ai/buy

Also, Apple Pay lets you scan in or enter your existing credit card. If you post a screenshot of where you think it’s forcing you to sign up for the Apple credit card, we can probably help.

1 Like

Yup. They do. But you don’t have to let them.

I would sooner lie down naked on an ant hill than give PayPal direct access to my bank account/debit card, because I have read the horror stories over the years about how terrible they are to deal with when there’s an issue.

But I’m perfectly happy to let them be a conduit to my credit card company.

1 Like

No, it asks if you want to link to your bank for ‘verified’ status in case you want to use PayPal for direct bank transfers of money,. You can decline and simply give it your credit card.

And as @cornchip already noted you can buy BTT directly with a credit card, without PayPal or Apple Card.

I love these episodes dedicated to specific tools. After each episode in the past I’ve adopted a new tool and it’s improved how I work (Hazel, Keyboard Maestro were great additions to my workflow). Very excited to start learning the ins and outs of BTT.

1 Like

I thought I heard somewhere that using BTT you could restrict the play/pause keys to be restricted to the Music app only (instead of controlling the active player) but I can’t figure out how to do this?

I’m a 27" Keyboard Maestro-ing iMac-er and I was happy that listening to this episode only cost me the ~$20 for a BTT license… getting off cheap for a MPU listen!

…but then I spent another $149 on a Space Gray Magic Trackpad 2…

Damn you MPU!! :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings:

6 Likes