536: Our Bags

I thought I’d join in the bag fun.

My EDC (now used for hauling things out to the patio when it’s warm enough for the home office to move there) is Timbuk2’s Classic Messenger, the small size. (I picked it up on a great sale last fall. I had a previous version of their classic messenger that I still use as a backup/extra. It’s lasted for years and is still usable, but it was bigger than I needed now that I carry less than I used to, and it was showing some wear and tear.)

Here’s what it looks like from the outside:

Under that flap are some nice additional pockets: a slash pocket, a zippered pocket that has a lanyard and clip for a set of keys, and an additional zippered pocket that’s accessible even when the top flap is closed and buckled:

The inside is remarkably roomy:

It holds a 13” MacBook Pro (2019) and 11” iPad Pro (2018) with the Magic Keyboard. On either end are a pair of computer glasses (I wear no-line bifocals, but they’re not good for screen distance — gotta love middle age!) and a pocket umbrella. The inside zippered pocket holds various small items: Kleenex, lotion, hand sanitizer, gum, and the chest strap that came with the bag (which I never use, but this was as good a place as any to keep it).

The smaller pockets (which are hard to see here) on the outside of the zippered pocket hold business cards, a microfiber cloth, pens, and AirPods Pro.

The fuschia item in the main compartment is a small packing cube with an interior mesh pocket. It holds an Anker battery, iPad charger, MacBook Pro charger, and various cables for charging on the go.

During the first half of the semester, when I actually got to teach in person, I could fit my lunch in there, too.

1 Like

I have a Tom Bihn bag but I deemed it too large for what I need to commute (when I used to commute…sigh) so I went back to my $20 Eddie Bauer messenger bag I bought 10+ years ago at Target. It’s held up very well and is a good size for the basics - journal, flashlight, etc.

I actually saw Stephen’s bag video prior to the MPU episode, which ticked me off. I bought a Tom Bihn Synapse about 2 years ago but always wished it had a full zipper and opened up like a clamshell. Just like the Synik! Dang it. Buyer’s remorse sucks.

Of course now I don’t go anywhere so I don’t need any bags.

To be fair, commuting is the one thing I don’t miss. The office itself I miss.

I have two bags, one small for when I leave the computer at the office, and one big for when I need to bring it. No matter which one I pick, what I need turns out to be in the other one. Laptop charger, mobile charger, headphones… Always in the wrong bag.

I wish I still had that problem…

Maybe its because I’m the son of a firefighter and a very paranoid mother but my family always has a contact card with the numbers of important people you may need to call if your phone dies. Especially if you are of the generation that doesn’t really have to dial numbers any more.

So I highly recommend keeping a business card or note card with the important numbers. I got about 14 important numbers on one card so if my phone dies I can still call for help.

6 Likes

I ran across the Pack Hacker site and I find it informative and objective.

This looks like a great backpack for travel.

1 Like

Does anyone have this bag and if so, what is your assessment?

https://www.aersf.com/flight-pack-2-black

Update: Well, after watching a lot of reviews, I just ordered this. It is perfect for my office and travel needs as it looks good, is not too big, and is very flexible.

1 Like

I have those shorts on as I type this. Really love tactical pants.

1 Like

I’ve carried that one or the one with the corkscrew for decades.

1 Like

I don’t own one but I find them elegant looking. I’m too hard on bags and purses to spend that much. I’m working on a longer post about my bags and my EDC.

Guilty as charged but I’ve carried a knife of some sort for as long as I can remember. I think I got my first pocket knife when I was 7 or 8 a 2 blade one that has long since disappeared. Now my tool of choice that is with me all the time is my Leatherman Rebar. I use the knife part to open packages, clean under my fingernails, lance sheep abscesses, cut baling twin on hay bales, make an emergency prolapse harness, cut and use twine as a dog lead, cut off a stick, extract a lamb tangled in electric nets and more.

1 Like

I’m willing to bet you are the only person on this forum who regularly needs to lance sheep abscesses. Or has even done so at all.

I can’t even SPELL abscess without technological assistance!

5 Likes

I too routinely carry a knife for a host of reasons. Not only do I carry one on me, but I have several varieties, including Swiss Army knives in my truck and SUV. I have found them extremely handy for opening packages, cutting rope/string, minor repairs, etc. I also think it is wise to have such tools always available if i you are ever stranded on the side of the road. Being able to DIY with some basic tools as needed is wise.

2 Likes

Get one. They are stellar. I have the in my shoulder bag and backpack.

Since no one else has mentioned them, I’ll put in a plug for Rickshaw Messenger Bags.

I’ve carried one for seven years and it still looks almost new. I’ve been very pleased. I prefer the large messenger bag, now called SUTRO but they have other briefcase and backpack sizes.

The Sutro looks terrific: big, but not too big. Thanks for posting!

I just picked up a Tom Bihn Handy Little Thing to replace my WaterField Designs Gear Pouch. The HLT definitely does a better job on thicker items like chargers and USB batteries. Thanks for mentioning it in the episode!

2 Likes

I have a medium Zero Messenger, which is a great iPad bag for the smaller (medium?) iPad and other items. Large Pro will not fit, but it’s a great bag, and the customization options mean you’ll always have one that as unique as you care to make it!

My otherwise very nice Duluth messenger Duluth Canvas Bagbag is falling down on the job…

Starting to wear out and barely fits my iPad pro. Afraid to wash it lest it shrink and I can’t make my iPad fit. Need inexpensive options, I’m murder on purses.

Suggestions?

For messenger bags I love Timbuk2 (they are tough and won’t shrink, although they recommend spot cleaning). I’ve got several of their sizes, one that is smaller than their current “extra small” size to one that is bigger than their current “Large” size and a couple of their current sizes. I’ve ordered two custom bags. My "Left handed bag only switched the side the strap adjusts on, the “Vertical Pocket” is still oriented for righities and is hard to get to.

Aside from these little nitpicks the bags are great and will last a long time. I used my XL messenger (no longer made) for my 17" PowerBook, handed it down to my son for high school a few years ago. He destroyed the buckle and the bag wouldn’t adjust any more. I called customer service and they covered a 15 year old bag that was abused under warranty and covered shipping both ways. They actually had to change the buckle system to their new style and the bag is just as solid as ever.

If yo don’t like their current colors they seem to add/delete colors seasonally and their poor sellers are usually on sale.

Thanks for the reference. I’ll take a look.