539: Back to Email

Oh, and +1 for loving the “mini-interview” format. I love you guys bringing in a wider range of subject experts for quick hits. I thought it made the show much more interesting - and better than having a four-person roundtable for the whole episode. I hope you keep it up!

1 Like

:+1: like the format, and you guys did a good job with the sound, which can be a challenge.

Do you know if the messages will be marked as read because they were played?

1 Like

That is actually a setting in Outlook. You can have them be marked read, or leave them unread. Your choice.

1 Like

Mini-interviews are a great idea, and were quite welcome in this episode. Always like hearing those two, anyway, but really cool to bring in real-world examples without making the whole show a giant interview.

I’ve never had this happen with regular Gmail, though I don’t doubt it could occasionally happen in some cases. But if you have a business GSuite account with your domain you can pretty easily configure DKIM for Gmail.

Really enjoyed this episode, in general I prefer the deep dive types of episodes to the special guest unless it is someone widely recognized like Sal Soghoian. Personally would have liked to seen Postbox reviewed. I have been using it on the Mac for a number of years after having tried everything else and find it to be the best. I also would like to have seen a brief discussion on Email archiving. While I use Gmail I try to archive all email more than a year or two into an archive on my Synology NAS. I’m currently using Mail Steward and am happy with it.

Unfortunately it’s only available in the US as I found out after digging around the other day trying to get it to work in the UK.

I’ve been an Airmail user (mac and iOS) for the last couple years… I really like the way it integrates with services (OmniFocus, Evernote, Trello). That said, although most of the bugs seem to have been worked out, I still see some (eg, sometimes problem with rendering images correctly), and I find longer threads can be hard to decipher. I recently switched back to Spark, which seems quite good and reliable at this point.

That said, the service I use most is OmniFocus, and while Airmail creates an entry in OF which can then immediately be edited, Spark places the new entry in the OF Inbox, requiring an “extra” step of getting it out of the OF Inbox… anyone have a workaround for this?

Definitely like the mini-interviews on occasion!

I’ve never had this happen with regular Gmail, though I don’t doubt it could occasionally happen in some cases. But if you have a business GSuite account with your domain you can pretty easily configure DKIM for Gmail .

It’s the “on behalf of” message that seems to throw some people.

Completely true that a paid GSuite account supports all of the niceties, of course.

Thank you - I enjoyed the episode.

I think that when David discussed automation and moving items into DEVONthink he mentioned that he is using MailTags (correct me please if I misheard). Further, I thought that he mentioned that he has been successful in getting MailTag TAGS to show up in DEVONthink. I was able to do this in the past before the MailTag update - but no longer. Is there some trick, setting, process … to allow me to get my MailTag TAGs to show up in DEVONthink?

Thanks,

Carl

My company makes me use Outlook to see my email from M365. I cope with Outlook for iOS, although I find it ugly and pretty basic (at least the calendar view isn’t terrible). But on Mac it does something that I just cannot have — it wants to download every single email in my account. It seems to be a thing these days that only mobile devices need a feature to only download the last X days’ emails. I don’t want it eating all that space. It can do that on my work laptop because that’s what it’s for, but for the occasional use on my Mac it’s way overkill. I make do with the web version but that’s not as fluid to use.

I have the same problem, however, look at it this way, Outlook have all calendars, and work emails. iPhone Mail App have all personal Mails. Same on my MacBook Pro.

Not a heavy user on space so maybe that’s why I haven’t notice.

1 Like

I can’t believe you didn’t include Postbox on the Mac! It’s chock full of customization options and keyboard shortcuts (many using a single key), and it offers a number of good automation options. Its Quick Post feature allows you to pre-program forwarding an email to any email address, along with pre- and post-subject additions, which allows excellent transferring of an email to, for instance, a particular Evernote notebook with tags, or a specific Todoist project with a due date and priority level. I use this constantly. Postbox also handles aliases well, which is crucial for me. And, its focus pane allows you to narrow down the emails you’re looking at based on various characteristics, such as label (many of which are automatically assigned by filters), sender, attachments, etc. For someone like me who is nowhere near Inbox Zero, this is crucial.

Any other Postbox users out there?

P.S. On iOS, I use Spark, because it offers some similar capabilities to move things out of email and into storage, reference or my To Do list.

3 Likes

Fully agree. But as I wrote elsewhere, the Mac Power Users are a bit short-sighted when it comes to applications, Not just for mail clients b.t.w.

Yes! Apart from MailMate there aren’t many mail clients on macOS that come close to the functionality that Postbox offers.

2 Likes

Postbox does seem like a very nice app but I don’t think that episode was meant to be a comprehensive overview - that would be a different kind of discussion, one better-suited to multiple in-depth episodes (or a long, involved article or two). I don’t think they mentioned Thunderbird, Unibox or Polymail either, which have interesting advantages of their own.

After listening to the feedback on this one, I decided to give Outlook a try on my iPad Pro. My iCloud account works fine, as does the IMAP account from my cable provider. What does not work are two Gmail accounts, one personal, and one for WORK with a *.edu domain. I’m not sure what’s going on, but they will neither send nor receive. Nor do they provide anything helpful when it fails. Both accounts are there in the accounts list, but neither one will send or receive. One of them has extensive calendar items that should sync as well, but nothing shows up in the Outlook calendar for that account. Help is appreciated.

This episode and all the thinking about email had me nostalgic about Eudora… dating myself! :joy:

7 Likes

I have loved Mailmate for years, and agree it gets short shrift (though I was pleased to hear it mentioned in this episode). Being able to write in Markdown is the clincher — on top of speed, support for SpamSieve, and the Command menu that allows you to (gasp!) share messages with apps like OmniFocus, BBEdit, DEVONthink, Fantastical, Due, Evernote, and more.

1 Like

One thing that I couldn’t fathom about MailMate is that all line breaks are hard line breaks.

From the docs at MailMate

• Standard Markdown has special line break rules. Consecutive lines are merged into paragraphs and a hard line break is then done by using two or more spaces at the end of a line. In MailMate, all line breaks are hard line breaks in order to work well with email clients which handle Markdown formatted text as ordinary plain text. This has some drawbacks though.

This might sound reasonable but one of the “drawbacks” is that these emails look horrible on phone screens. My experience is that each line wrap in the markdown email creates a line break and when reading on my iPhone I noticed that every single line did a soft wrap on the line because it was just barely too long, then one or two words later a hard line break.

When I get back to my desk I’ll edit this with a screenshot of a test email to show what I mean.

2 Likes