545: State of the Apple Watch

Right, I have the Crown in (e.g., towards my body) on the Watch I use at the gym (I have two). This prevents activating Siri when doing push-ups or handling weights during exercises.

1 Like

Apple Pay is great on the Watch, especially these days when Face ID on the iPhone doesnā€™t easily or reliably recognize your face when you are wearing a mask. Most places I go take Apple Pay, with only one notable exception (Iā€™m looking at you, Home Depot!).

I also like how the Watch will assist in unlocking your Mac, or allow you to access Secure Notes in Apple Notes, or get into the Password keychain. And of course confirming an Apple Pay purchase you make on the Mac.

My most-used third party app on the Watch is Anylist. Iā€™ll do my weekly meal plan and market list using Anylist on my iPad, which is synced to my iPhone, which is synced to my Watch through iCloud. Once at the market, I start Anylist on my watch and go down the list while shopping. Tapping on an item crosses it off the list, and you use the crown to scroll through the list. Much easier and faster than doing it on the Phone, or (eek!) on paper!

Also, during the week, if I notice weā€™re running low on something, I can add items to Anylist via speaking into the Watch (ā€œAdd donuts to my Grocery Listā€) or by talking to one of my HomePods using Hey Siri (ā€œHey Siri, add beer to my grocery listā€).

Hereā€™s my pro tip: Consider using complications as an app launcher instead of the dock. Launching apps on the watch is much faster using complications on the watch face than going into the dock, scrolling the list for the right one, then tapping.

One big use you didnā€™t mention about the side button on the watch was APPLE PAY, especially now that wearing masks makes face ID on the iPhone for Apple Pay is a no-go.

1 Like

I just got an Apple Watch Series 5, paid way too much for it and itā€™s worth every nickel! It is just too cool and I never even wanted to be like Dick Tracy. I have the bright rich orange Vitamin C and is she gorgeous! This is definitely one of the most fantastic iToys I have ever had!

Go for it! If youā€™re feeling the least bit guilty, Iā€™m fairly sure you can buy a rebuilt one, It will be quite some time before Iā€™ll utter any kvetch if at all. Plus the iWatch can monitor your health! Immeasurable!

1 Like

Iā€™ve been doing this for the last 2 weeks and am having trouble getting used to it (been wearing a watch since series 0). Its hard. I keep reaching for the crown dial on the outside and havenā€™t gotten used to the side button for aPay. It great that I donā€™t accidentally trigger Siri randomly, but Iā€™m still not sure its worth itā€¦

2 Likes