557: Grading the Intel Era

Yes, I vote this to be one of the greatest presentation moments by Steve Jobs right up there with the first iPhone introduction

Iā€™m glad they didnā€™t. When I first saw that I put my MacBook (non-Air) into an interplant envelope and it fit fine. No big (or small) deal with the MacBook Air.

And they still do today with the Space Grey keyboard and mouse.

1 Like

Great episode! Stephen was like a kid in a candy store the whole time haha. Loved it.

@ismh Thanks for the recommendation of Mimestream in the More Power Users segment. Iā€™m giving it a try now ā€“ it is as you described it, a native Mac mail client customized for Gmail, with labels instead of folders, etc. Nice!

Iā€™ve been meaning to separate my employer and personal email since an unfortunate incident last week when I mixed the two up. My personal email is on Gmail (or, more precisely, G Suite or whatever theyā€™re calling it now.)

2 Likes

I still have my white MacBook running the old version of Ulysses app. I think version 2 is whatā€™s running on it. Although I have to keep it plugged in as the battery is long depleted. Would love to use it as my ā€œtypewriterā€ but itā€™s a slog to use.

When waxing nostalgic about the old monitor that could ā€œconvertā€ their laptop to a desktop, I was surprised they didnā€™t mention the Apple 4K LG UltraFine Computer Monitor. Mine has a bunch of USB-A and Thunderbolt USB-C ports on the back. I plug in my mechanical keyboard, wired ethernet (via adapter), and my 15-inch MacBook Pro. So the MBP has only one cable attached to it. No separate power connection or power brick needed to the laptop. Disconnect one cable and itā€™s a notebook. Plug in one cable and itā€™s a desktop. I had expected to have to buy an expensive dock to get one-cable convenience. Really cuts the price of the monitor if you consider the money I saved not buying a dock.

Iā€™m having a Tiny Brain Day ā€“ wonā€™t ANY external monitor convert your laptop to a desktop? What was so special about Apple displays for that?

Iā€™m still using my 2010 27" Apple Cinema Display. Iā€™ve promised myself a nice upgrade as a reward for decluttering my office. Hopefully thatā€™ll happen before this display is old enough to vote.

I believe they were discussing and sadly recalling the demise of the Cinema Display which was the first (?) and and for a while the only (?) monitor with Thunderbolt?

Donā€™t you need Thunderbolt to turn a MBP into a desktop using only one cable from the Mac?

P. S. I turned around my Apple 4K LG UltraFine Monitor to check my memory, which has proved to be faulty. There are five ports on the monitor, all with USB-C form factor connectors. No USB-A. Two are Thunderbolt 3 and three are USB 3.1.

My Cinema Display has one cable that splits into three ends. From memory (Iā€™m in the other room now):

MagSafe power, useless for several years more)

Mini-DisplayPort for display, which requires an adapter to work with modern MBPs

USB

The variety of connection options in the Apple universe is a mess. Too many varieties for the average intelligent person to make sense of

This was a really delightful episode and I very much enjoyed it. Thank you! :smiley:

So you had to plug three connectors into an Apple laptop from the Cinema Display in order to give the laptop power, data, and video? Thatā€™s not what I would call one-cable convenience. It does not matter to me if the three connectors all came out of the same so-called single ā€œcableā€. I really enjoy the advance that Thunderbolt allows to have a single cable with one connector from the 4K LG UltraFine monitor to the MBP laptop.

1 Like

This was a fun episode, and if you liked it you might also really enjoy Jason Snellā€™s excellent mini series, 20 Macs for 2020. It started well, and itā€™s getting better as he gets more excited heading towards number one.

Also available as a podcast and a video series!

Iā€™ve been enjoying the podcast personally, including Jason enjoying his moment besting you with a portable (iirc) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup. 20 charactersss.