557: Grading the Intel Era

Did something a little different with this episode, but I’m really happy with how it turned out.

6 Likes

It is the first episode where I hear Steven gushing like some teenager on a date with their first crush.

I will personally wait and will refresh my MBP with a 16" Intel based processor next Spring as I think Apple will turn the dial in favor of longer battery life and getting touch working on the laptops and maybe their may be issues running Windows on these initial silicon processors.

Well interesting times indeed.

1 Like

I married my high school sweetheart so yeah, Apple Silicon Macs will be great!

5 Likes

This was a lot of fun to listen to! Thanks, guys.

2 Likes

Great episode! Are the missing chapter markers expected? I’ve always loved having them.

…it has chapter markers…

1 Like

I’m surprised about two things.

1. Why didn’t they recall the special moment of the macbook air being introduced in an envelope.

2. Why don’t they speculate that the new ARM Mac could be a reborn Macbook rather than a Macbook Pro or Macbook Air.

I am at the minimum 3 year away from Apple Silicon so I will be watching your experiences enthusiastically…

Hmm, sorry about that. My Pocketcasts app must be acting up. Chapter buttons and page are missing. Works fine elsewhere as you said, so I’ll follow up with them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is what I think of when I think of the plastic MacBook.

4 Likes

Hah! I had a white plastic MacBook, which I loved. But I had to have the top case replaced at least twice (it might have been three times), because it kept cracking in the palm rest area.

Apple was very good and gracious about it, but it was a bother. This was the era before we had an Apple Store in my town, and the nearest one was over a two-hour drive away.

I would have preferred the black MacBook, but I didn’t want to pay extra for it. I never did figure out why they charged more when the color was the only difference.

1 Like

I enjoyed this episode, I was an Apple outsider in 2005. I was wanting to switch over then. However, it wasn’t possible. Bought my first iMac in 2014. I have been happy with it and that decision ever since. I am excited about things to come. It will be a while before I take that leap.

PocketCasts is glitchy like this sometimes. I’ve experienced this issue before. Eventually I just moved to Overcast (although that has its own share of problems, it’s been more reliable for me)

1 Like

This brings back so many memories I started my career in IT right around the time the MacBook came out so had so many to fix with those darn keyboard that’s would splinter. At one point was able to Frankenstein a white and black my MacBook together like pretty neat.

So glad MagSafe came up. That was one of my favorite upgrades from my iBook to MacBook switch.

Really good episode. Thank you. Very interesting…

Because they can. :slight_smile:

I bounce back and forth between Overcast and Castro. Both reliable, each with its own user interface advantages and drawbacks.

1 Like

The black models came with bigger hard drives. But it was mostly a tax on the cooler finish.

2 Likes